US, Pakistan to target Haqqani networkAugust 5th, 2012 - 4:43 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 5 (IANS) US and Pakistani officials are considering joint counter-terrorism campaigns in Afghanistan and Pakistan that would target the Haqqani militant group, a media report said.
The Haqqani network is a Taliban-affiliated group that operates from North Waziristan in Pakistan’s Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA). The Haqqani network has been at the forefront of insurgent activity in Afghanistan, responsible for many high-profile attacks, according to the US State Department.
The proposed counter-terrorism campaigns would target the Haqqani group that has mounted several attacks on US soldiers. It would also target Taliban fighters who have launched attacks on Pakistan, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing US officials.
The plans were discussed in meetings in Washington involving Pakistan’s new intelligence chief, Lt. Gen. Muhammad Zahirul Islam, and top officials of the Central Intelligence Agency, State Department and Pentagon.
The intention of the campaigns would be to stamp out sanctuaries for the Haqqani network in Pakistan, and what Pakistan says are sanctuaries for the Pakistani Taliban in Afghanistan.
The US has long been pressing Pakistan to target the Haqqani group, without success. Washington says the militant network acts like a “veritable arm” of the Pakistani security forces, a charge Pakistan denies, the daily said.
“It’s a good beginning,” Vali Nasr, a former State Department official and now dean of the School of Advanced International Studies at Johns Hopkins University, was quoted as saying.
He said that in previous joint campaigns, Pakistan has asked to be involved in all aspects of intelligence-gathering, but the US side has looked skeptically at Pakistani requests to share information about coming raids.
- US blocks property of Haqqani network commander - Nov 01, 2011
- Haqqani network a terrorist group: US - Sep 08, 2012
- US seeks to mend ties with Pakistan - Jun 23, 2012
- US accuses Pakistan of supporting Haqqani network - Sep 23, 2011
- Badruddin Haqqani killed in drone attack: Report - Aug 25, 2012
- US crackdown on Haqqani network to make Karzai's reconciliation task tougher - Jul 23, 2010
- CIA fears attacking Haqqani madrassa in Pak over concerns of violent backlash - Dec 18, 2010
- US strategy jeopardised by Pakistani havens: Post - Feb 25, 2012
- Gilani discusses Pakistan-US ties with politicians - Sep 25, 2011
- US lawmakers seek terrorist tag for Haqqani network - May 12, 2012
- US still views silent Haqqani network as most dangerous of Taliban fighters - Dec 27, 2010
- US general meets Kayani, discusses Haqqani network - Sep 24, 2011
- Clinton warns of terrorists-pursuit on Afghan-Pakistan border - Oct 20, 2011
- NATO to continue military pressure on Haqqani network - Nov 03, 2011
- Mullen sticks to his guns on ISI links with terror group - Sep 29, 2011
Tags: aspects of intelligence, central intelligence agency, counter terrorism, intelligence chief, intelligence gathering, johns hopkins university, militant group, north waziristan, pakistani officials, sanctuaries, security forces, several attacks, state department official, taliban fighters, taliban in afghanistan, terrorism campaigns, tribal areas, us state department, vali nasr, wall street journal