US offers help in Pakistan avalanche rescueApril 9th, 2012 - 6:40 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 9 (IANS) The US has offered help to Pakistan in searching 135 soldiers and civilians buried under snow following an avalanche in the country’s Siachen region.
The avalanche hit an army camp near Skardu district at 6 a.m. Saturday. Army Chief Gen. Ashfaq Parvez Kayani has visited the site to personally supervise the rescue work.
The US embassy in a statement expressed “deep concern for the Pakistani soldiers” and said “the US is ready to assist Pakistan in search, rescue, and recovery operations”.
Kayani said such an avalanche never occurred in the last 20 years in Pakistan. He said the army has always risen to the occasion and will come through this challenge as well.
The rescue operation was underway on the second day at the site Sunday, with sniffer dogs, helicopters and troops on ground, Xinhua reported.
The met office has forecast snowfall in the area this week that may hamper the rescue work.
- Kayani monitors Siachen rescue operations - Apr 08, 2012
- Hope fading fast for Pakistan avalanche victims - Apr 09, 2012
- Equipment of buried Pakistani soldiers found in Siachen - May 22, 2012
- Pakistan favours demilitarization of Siachen: Kayani - Apr 19, 2012
- 'Rescue work on for missing Siachen avalanche victims' - Apr 13, 2012
- Pakistan avalanche buries 135 people - Apr 08, 2012
- 100 Pakistani troops buried in Siachen avalanche (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- India, Pakistan gain nothing from Siachen: Pakistan minister - Jun 03, 2012
- Pakistan, India to talk Siachen on June 11, 12 - May 11, 2012
- Pakistan must not leave Siachen unilaterally: Imran Khan - Apr 23, 2012
- India, Pakistan talks on Siachen end - Jun 12, 2012
- Siachen avalanche: Pakistan welcomes India's offer - Apr 09, 2012
- Hope fades for 138 missing in Pakistan avalanche - Apr 11, 2012
- US, Chinese teams head to Pakistan avalanche site - Apr 15, 2012
- Pakistan, India hold talks on Siachen (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
Tags: army camp, army chief, ashfaq, avalanche rescue, helicopters, kayani, pakistan, pakistani soldiers, parvez, recovery operations, search rescue, siachen, sniffer dogs, snowfall, soldiers and civilians, us embassy, xinhua