US gives aid for hydroelectric dams in PakistanAugust 20th, 2011 - 4:13 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 20 (IANS) The US has provided funds to Pakistan to complete construction of two hydroelectric dam projects in the country, a media report said Saturday.
The US assistance is being provided to Satpara hydroelectric dam project in Gilgit-Baltistan region and Gomal Zam hydroelectric dam in South Waziristan, the Dawn newspaper reported quoting the US State Department.
“We are considering doing more in the sector,” said the department’s spokesperson Victoria Nuland.
There were also reports that the US would support the $12 billion Diamer-Bhasha dam project on the Indus river in the Gilgit-Baltistan region.
Nuland said Pakistan had requested the international community’s support for the project.
“We recognise that such a hydroelectric project would help meet many of Pakistan’s long-term energy and water needs, as well as advance social and economic development,” she said.
“We are considering how we can best support Pakistan’s request, as are other bilateral donors and multilateral financial institutions.”
The US, she said, has not yet made a final decision on this project. If the US supports the project, it will be the largest civilian aid from the US to Pakistan in decades.
Asked if the US was concerned if support to these projects would affect its ties with India, Nuland said the US had long supported development projects that enhance the daily lives of people throughout the region. “In doing so, we always take into account a project’s potential regional impact,” she added.
- Pakistan no to seeking NOC on dam from India - Aug 14, 2012
- US reiterates opposition to Iran-Pakistan pipeline - Sep 16, 2011
- Pakistan gets help from US to tackle energy crisis - Jul 18, 2011
- Pakistan launches 4,500 MW dam project - Oct 19, 2011
- US pledges 500 million dollars for Pak's Diamer-Bhasha dam - Apr 04, 2011
- Villagers threatened by dam cracks in Pakistan-administered Kashmir - Jan 09, 2012
- Pak's Gilgit-Baltistan reforms, attempt to divide Kashmiris: JKLF - Nov 04, 2009
- Pakistan dam develops cracks - Feb 21, 2012
- Help Pakistani Kashmiris' 'freedom struggle', India urged - Feb 22, 2012
- Claim Pakistani Kashmir before China takes over, India urged - May 10, 2011
- India summons Pak envoy, protests against "Gilgit-Baltistan' order, POK power project - Sep 11, 2009
- Demilitarise Siachen, says Nawaz Sharif - Apr 18, 2012
- Pakistan surveying poor for assistance - Oct 21, 2011
- POK leaders justify India's objection to Chinese projects - Oct 14, 2009
- Pakistan-Tajikistan road to cost Rs.2 bn - Oct 19, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,