US gives $193 mn for Pakistan’s flood-hit familiesJune 14th, 2011 - 4:51 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 14 (IANS) The US has released a sum of $193 million as aid for 1.6 million Pakistani families affected by the devastating floods last year, finance ministry officials said.
The fund was given to Pakistan for the Citizen Damage Compensation Plan (CDCP), the Daily Times reported.
The government has already paid Rs.20,000 to each of the flood-affected families and is planning to give another same amount by early July, the officials said.
The total flood compensation programme requires approximately $580 million. The Pakistan government has committed to providing $100 million, while $480 million would be provided by donor countries and organisations.
France, Australia, and Canada are also considering supporting the flood hit people.
The devastating floods that hit Pakistan in July 2010 affected an estimated 20 million people. Nearly 1.7 million houses were damaged in the disaster, according to the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).
- World Bank approves 125-mn-dollar support for Pakistan flood victims - Mar 31, 2011
- Pak unable to provide cash compensation to flood victims before March 2011 - Feb 05, 2011
- Over 160,000 'flood affected' people in Pakistan still displaced: UN spokesman - Jan 26, 2011
- Over 300 killed, 6 million affected in Pakistan floods - Sep 18, 2011
- Over Rs.10 bn distributed to Pakistan flood-hit - Nov 04, 2010
- UNHCR seeks $33 mn for Pakistan flood victims - Sep 21, 2011
- 'Foreign aid for flood-hit Pakistan inadequate' - Sep 27, 2011
- UN calls for over $350 mn to help flood-hit Pakistan - Sep 20, 2011
- Actress Angelina Jolie urges assistance for Pakistan in aftermath of monsoon floods - Sep 01, 2010
- 30,000 Syrian refugees cross into Lebanon: UN - Jul 20, 2012
- 100,000 people displaced in Pakistan this year - Mar 31, 2012
- 141 dead, 4 mn homeless in Pakistan floods - Sep 11, 2011
- 150,000 Afghan refugees to leave Pakistan - Jun 18, 2012
- USAID to give $155 mn for education in Pakistan - Aug 16, 2011
- Over 100,000 flee fighting in northwestern Pakistan: UNHCR - Mar 31, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,