US drone attack kills four militants in PakistanNovember 19th, 2008 - 9:29 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Nov 19 (DPA) At least four Islamic militants were killed Wednesday in a missile strike by a suspected pilotless US aircraft in northwest Pakistan, a Pakistani official said.One of the two missiles fired hit a house in the Jani Khel semi-tribal area of the Bannu district in the North-West Frontier Province.
The pre-dawn airstrike destroyed a mud compound that belonged to a Taliban militant named Dilber, alias Parpand, a local intelligence official said, on the condition of anonymity.
He said three of the victims were foreigners, a term used to refer to Al Qaeda-linked fighters of Arab or Central Asian origin. The fourth dead man was a local fighter identified as Rafiullah.
“The Taliban cordoned off the area after the attack and moved the bodies of the three foreigners to some undisclosed location,” the official said.
District police officer Mohammad Alam confirmed the attack but claimed all those killed were locals.
The US in recent months has intensified strikes by pilotless aircraft against militants in Pakistan’s tribal region, from which the Islamist insurgents launch cross border attacks on international forces in Afghanistan.
But Wednesday’s attack was the first US airstrike outside tribal regions and in the settled areas.
Pakistan, a key US ally, has been angered by the air raids, which have caused many civilian casualties, and warned that such actions would prove “counterproductive” in the fight against terrorism.
NWFP’s Chief Minister Amir Haider Khan Hoti condemned the Bannu attack and warned that the government will be “forced to review its diplomatic relations with the US if such actions continued.”
- Four militants killed in suspected US missile strike (Lead) - Nov 19, 2008
- US drone attack kills four in Pakistan - Nov 26, 2010
- Six militants killed in US drone attack in Pakistan - May 03, 2010
- US drone attack kills six militants in Pakistan - Jun 27, 2010
- US drone attacks kill six in Pakistan - Feb 24, 2011
- Four police officers killed as militants target police vehicle, security checkpoint in Pak - Jan 13, 2011
- US missile strike kills 15 militants in Pakistan - Jan 17, 2010
- 16 die in US drone strike in Pakistan - Aug 10, 2011
- 10 killed in Pakistan drone strike - May 24, 2012
- Suspected US airstrike kills 10 in Pakistan - Jan 14, 2010
- Four killed in drone attack in Pakistan - Apr 14, 2010
- Drone strike kills eight in Pakistan - Jun 27, 2011
- 13 die in drone strike in Pakistan (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- 18 killed in Pakistan drone attacks (Lead) - Dec 27, 2010
- US drone strike kills 4 in northwest Pakistan - Sep 01, 2012