US donates bomb disposal vans, motorcycles to PakistanDecember 21st, 2011 - 9:42 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Dec 21 (IANS) The US Wednesday donated four bomb disposal vans and 100 motorcycles to the government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province in northwest Pakistan.
A ceremony was held at the police headquarters in Peshawar, the provincial capital, to mark the occasion, Xinhua reported quoting the official APP news agency.
The donations were made by the US embassy’s narcotics affairs section under its police assistance programme, the spokesman for the US Consulate in Peshawar said.
US Consul General Marie Richards paid tribute to security forces at the event and said: “I would like to praise the courage and dedication of the police of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.”
“It is their commitment to duty that protects the people of Peshawar and KPK from criminals. I hope that the equipment we are providing today will help them carry out their duties safely and effectively in future,” she said.
The US has committed $75 million in aid to the Khyber Pakhtunkwa police to build capacity and improve security across the province. Previous donations have included police vehicles, armoured troop carriers, generators, solar panels, radios, binoculars, first aid supplies and other items.
- Eight injured in Peshawar blast - Dec 22, 2011
- Arms seized from US officials' cars in Pakistan - Jun 05, 2012
- Gunfight near US consulate in Peshawar (Second Lead) - Aug 28, 2010
- Senior cop killed in Taliban suicide attack in Pakistan (Lead) - Aug 05, 2010
- Four die in Peshawar suicide bombing (Fourth Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Senior police officer killed in Pakistan suicide attack - Aug 04, 2010
- US consulate vehicles targeted in Peshawar blast, one dead (Second Lead) - May 20, 2011
- US diplomat in Peshawar leaves charge after Taliban threat - Dec 11, 2010
- Two Americans killed in Peshawar suicide bombing (Third Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- 98 pc terrorists' acquittal blamed for upsurge in militancy in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa - Feb 26, 2011
- Suicide blast in Pakistan's Khyber Pakhtunkhwa - Jan 12, 2011
- Khyber Pakhtunkhwa will continue fighting against terrorism: Bashir Bilour - Jan 31, 2011
- Five of family killed in Kohat blast in Pakistan - Sep 08, 2010
- Five cops injured in Peshawar suicide blast - Feb 16, 2012
- Two die as suicide bomber targets US vehicle in Peshawar (Evening Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
Tags: affairs section, app news, binoculars, bomb disposal, consul general, first aid supplies, kpk, narcotics, news agency, pakistan islamabad, police assistance, police headquarters, police vehicles, provincial capital, security forces, solar panels, troop carriers, us embassy, vans, xinhua