US Congress unlikely to pass emergency aid for Pakistan: US SenatorMay 1st, 2009 - 2:00 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 1 (ANI): Pakistan might be eagerly waiting for 1.4 billion dollars as aid which the United States has pledged, but according to an American lawmaker, the US Congress appears to be in no mood to pass the bill in a huff.
Democratic Senator Richard Durbin said it is highly unlikely that the US Congress would pass an emergency aid package for Pakistan.
“I don’t think it’s likely,” Durbin said.
US Defence Secretary Robert Gates had urged the Congress earlier this week to pass the 83.4 billion dollars spending bill for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan ‘as quickly as possible’, including assistance for Pakistan’s counter-terrorism efforts, The Nation reports.
Gates informed a US Senate panel that money to reimburse Pakistan for its operations against extremists along the border with Afghanistan will run out in mid-May.
The Obama administration has made it clear that it wants to speed up to 400 million dollars for Pakistan. Officials have also clarified to the Senators that the administration may seek other avenues for the funding if they fail to act. (ANI)
- Pakistan given $30 bn aid by US since 1948 - Jun 11, 2011
- Pakistan either incompetent or involved: CIA chief - May 04, 2011
- US seeking answers from Pakistan after Osama raid - May 19, 2011
- `Somebody' in Pakistan knew of Osama, says US (Lead) - May 19, 2011
- The American Senate Transports The Afghan 'War Finances' Legislation Back To The House - Jul 23, 2010
- US to freeze $700 mn aid to Pakistan - Dec 13, 2011
- US in no hurry to cut aid to Pakistan - Dec 14, 2011
- US senator introduces bill to stop Pakistan aid (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- US conditions $2.3 bn military aid to Pakistan on not confronting India (Lead) - Oct 23, 2009
- US stops $700 mn aid to Pakistan (Lead) - Dec 15, 2011
- US House freezes $700 mn aid to Pakistan - Dec 15, 2011
- US releases another 288 mln dollars for Pak as CSF reimbursements - May 27, 2010
- Aid 'freeze' to Pakistan can bve waived: US - Dec 16, 2011
- Pakistan is a 'black hole' for US aid - May 17, 2012
- Aid freeze no big deal: US to Pakistan (Second Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
Tags: avenues, billion dollars, counter terrorism, defence secretary, democratic senator, emergency aid package, extremists, huff, lawmaker, may 1, million dollars, richard durbin, robert gates, secretary robert, senate panel, senator richard durbin, senators, us congress, us senate, us senator