US applauds India-Pakistan talksMarch 29th, 2011 - 9:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 29 (IANS) The US Tuesday applauded the talks between the Indian and Pakistani home secretaries and said the negotiations “combined with cricket diplomacy and people-to-people ties” can be a success.
“We expect the two countries to carry forward with what media is calling cricket diplomacy. We applaud the talks that are taking place on a host of issues including homeland and security matters,” US Ambassador Timothy J. Roemer told reporters on the sidelines of his visit to the Delhi Zoo with
slum children studying at an NGO.
“India and Pakistan will take the talks forward at their own pace, ability, and character. Talks combined with cricket diplomacy, people-to-people ties and optimism can help make it a success,” he said.
Home Secretary G.K. Pillai and his Pakistani counterpart Qamar Zamam met here Monday-Tuesday to discuss issues like counter-terrorism and the visa regime.
Roemer and his wife Sally Roemer visited the zoo with 32 children studying a english language programme at NGO Making a Difference.
“The children were keen to know about wildlife. I and Sally found this to be the best way to give them some practical knowledge,” Roemer said.
- Obama hails India's victory in World Cup: envoy - Apr 04, 2011
- US applauds cricket diplomacy, Dhoni and Sachin - Apr 04, 2011
- India-Pakistan talks agenda: 26/11, counter-terror - Mar 27, 2011
- Pakistan ready to discuss all issues with India: Qamar Zaman - Mar 27, 2011
- Chidambaram optimistic about India-Pakistan meet - Apr 30, 2012
- India-Pakistan talks: Day 1 ends on positive note - Mar 28, 2011
- President Obama's India visit to reflect shared vision of global partnership: Roemer - Nov 01, 2010
- US ambassador congratulates India - Apr 03, 2011
- Gilani accepts Manmohan's invite for World Cup semifinal (Roundup) - Mar 27, 2011
- Pat downs, row over diplomats are occasional hiccups: Roemer - Jun 30, 2011
- India, Pakistan discuss 26/11, terror (Lead) - Mar 28, 2011
- US envoy favours India-Pakistan talks despite Pune blast - Feb 17, 2010
- `Indo-Pak cricket: Emotions high, passions rising' - Mar 29, 2011
- Myanmar's democracy aids in better ties, trade: India - Feb 15, 2012
- India pushes for 26/11 CBM, Pakistan rejects state role (Evening Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
Tags: character talks, counter terrorism, delhi zoo, diplomacy, home secretary, india and pakistan, india pakistan, monday tuesday, ngo, own pace, pakistan talks, pillai, practical knowledge, roemer, secretaries, security matters, sidelines, slum children, visa regime, wife sally