UN warns of massive displacement in PakistanMay 19th, 2009 - 2:49 am ICT by IANS
Geneva, May 19 (DPA) With over two million people now displaced in Pakistan owing to fighting in the North West Frontier Province, the UN warned Monday that the crisis could be one of the worst in years.
The displacement was “one of the most dramatic of recent times”, said Ron Redmond, a spokesman for the UN’s Refugee Agency (UNHCR).
A total of 1,454,377 people have been displaced since May 2, coming on top of 553,916 who fled their homes last year and have not felt it safe enough to return.
The UN was struggling to keep up with the influx.
“It’s like trying to catch something that’s moving ahead of us because the number of people on the move every day is so big and the response is never enough,” said Redmond.
He had just recently returned from a visit to Pakistan with the High Commissioner for Refugees Antonio Guterres.
The UN was likely to issue a large financial appeal for the region in the near future, officials have said. It could go into the hundreds of millions of dollars.
- UN deplores killing of Somali refugee leader at Kenya camp - Jan 01, 2012
- Conflict in Pakistan left over 500,000 displaced: UN (Lead) - May 12, 2009
- 30,000 Syrian refugees cross into Lebanon: UN - Jul 20, 2012
- Mali situation under close watch: UNHCR - Mar 23, 2012
- Over 750,000 people became refugees in 2011 - Dec 07, 2011
- 100,000 people displaced in Pakistan this year - Mar 31, 2012
- 27 mn people displaced within their own country: UN - Jun 16, 2010
- Swat conflict triggers largest, swiftest refugee exodus: UNHCR - May 22, 2009
- Military operation in Pakistan may displace 600,000 people - Jun 08, 2012
- A million people displaced in Pakistan, says UN - May 08, 2009
- 80,000 displaced in Myanmar unrest - Jul 28, 2012
- 150,000 Afghan refugees to leave Pakistan - Jun 18, 2012
- Over 100,000 flee fighting in northwestern Pakistan: UNHCR - Mar 31, 2012
- Afghans are top asylum seekers in the West: UN - Mar 23, 2010
- 265,000 people fled Sri Lanka conflict zone, says UN - May 19, 2009