UN to provide food to Pakistan quake survivorsOctober 30th, 2008 - 9:46 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Oct 30 (DPA) The UN World Food Programme (WFP) said Thursday it planned to provide food assistance to nearly 20,000 people left homeless by the deadly earthquake that struck Pakistan’s northwestern Balochistan province Wednesday. “We need to move fast, so we are going to start distributing food stocks from our warehouses in Quetta and Peshawar, so we can reach the people who need it most,” WFP Pakistan Country Director Wolfgang Herbinger said in a statement.
He added that the organisation would be coordinating its response with the government and other UN agencies.
The WFP plans to initially provide 700 tonnes of dry food rations to affected communities. The packages include wheat flour, pulses, cooking oil and salt for two months, according to the statement.
According to official figures, between 200 and 300 people lost their lives and more than 300 were injured in the earthquake that flattened several villages.
- Japan gives $9 mn for refugees in Pakistan's northwest - Mar 30, 2010
- Food aid to Pakistan reaches 7,000 tonnes: WFP - Sep 30, 2011
- Iraqi government donates wheat flour to help flood victims in Pakistan - Dec 13, 2010
- China offers $16 mn to UN food agency for Somalia - Aug 22, 2011
- 6.3-magnitude earthquake hits Pakistan - Jan 24, 2011
- UN expands relief operations in Yemen - Aug 22, 2009
- Flooding spreads to south Pakistan, hundreds of thousands evacuating villages - Aug 24, 2010
- WFP distributes emergency rations in Yemen - Aug 21, 2009
- More than 5 million still affected by floods in Pakistan - Nov 26, 2011
- Fortified wheat flour for Jaipur open market - Jun 26, 2012
- Being Bengali: Two Puja food recipes (To go with 'Fish to brinjal fry...take your pick at Puja') - Oct 03, 2011
- Pakistan food aid programme halted after suicide attack - Dec 27, 2010
- US to give Pak 8.4-mln-dlr food aid - Sep 19, 2008
- US to give $12 mn in aid for Syrians - Mar 16, 2012
- Pakistanis hungry as steep hike in food prices - Sep 12, 2011