UN praises UAE’s help in flood-hit PakistanOctober 1st, 2010 - 9:01 pm ICT by IANS
Abu Dhabi, Oct 1 (IANS/WAM) A senior UN official has appreciated the humanitarian efforts made by the United Arab Emirates (UAE) in helping the flood-affected people of Pakistan.
Elissar Sarrouh, UN resident coordinator and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) resident representative, said the UAE has always played a vital role in alleviating the suffering of underprivileged people.
The UN official said the present situation in Pakistan requires broader partnership to meet the increasing demands of the victims.
The UN has appealed for $2 billion for Pakistan, the largest appeal for humanitarian relief ever made by the body.
She praised the relief operations by the UAE’s Red Crescent Authority (RCA) in Pakistan saying the agency was among the first responders to the situation.
RCA board chairman Ahmed Humaid Al Mazrouie welcomed the cooperation and coordination with UN agencies in upgrading field operations for humanitarian and relief work.
The RCA is looking forward to greater coordination with UN agencies operating in Pakistan to provide holistic care and improve living conditions for the affected people, he said.
- UAE charity steps up humanitarian efforts in Pakistan - Apr 23, 2011
- UAE aid vessel arrives in Karachi - Dec 14, 2010
- Pakistan hails UAE aid - May 04, 2012
- UAE helps 5,000 Somalians return - Dec 31, 2011
- UAE donates 700 tonnes of aid to Gaza - May 28, 2010
- Pact inked on developing Palestine's infrastructure - Oct 14, 2010
- Varisty's role in UAE's progress highlighted - Jun 07, 2011
- UAE begins new humanitarian mission in Pakistan - Apr 17, 2011
- UAE embassy in Australia holds iftar - Aug 05, 2012
- UAE sends health mission to flood-hit Pakistan - Aug 25, 2010
- UAE charity, Oxfam to help displaced Pakistanis - Nov 30, 2010
- UAE troops distribute aid in Afghanistan - Aug 16, 2010
- UAE builds village in flood-hit Pakistan - Oct 05, 2010
- UAE to set up camp for Syrian refugees in Jordan - Sep 04, 2012
- UAE mobile hospital treats Syrian refugees in Jordan - Aug 20, 2012
Tags: abu dhabi, ahmed, board chairman, dg, elissar, field operations, first responders, humanitarian efforts, humanitarian relief, rca, red crescent, relief operations, resident coordinator, resident representative, situation in pakistan, uae, undp, united arab emirates, united nations development, united nations development programme