UN expresses concern over abducted Solecki’’s healthMarch 19th, 2009 - 5:11 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Mar 19 (ANI): The United Nations has expressed its concerns about the well being of its abducted official John Solecki, and is trying hard for his release at the earliest, an official of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees said.
Solecki, a UN refugee agency (UNHCR) official in the southwestern province of Baluchistan, was kidnapped at gunpoint in Quetta on February 2.
The Baluchistan Liberation United Front (BLUF), claiming to hold Solecki had warned to kill him within 48 hours on Monday if the government does not free more than 1,100 prisoners.
The Dawn quoted the UNHCR official as saying, “”We are very concerned about the apparent deterioration of John’’s health, reported by the group holding him…the world body was still willing to speak directly to those who have John, in the spirit of being ready to listen and to find a safe way to secure his release.”
”The UNHCR is also in contact with the federal and provincial government of Baluchistan. The list of demands provided by the abductors has been presented to both the governments, which are working on it,” he said.
He further appreciated the cooperation of the Baluch tribal leaders to remain in active communication and contact with the UN to support the release of Solecki. (ANI)
- UN calls for release of abducted official in Pakistan - Feb 20, 2009
- UN seeks contact with Soleckis abductors through trusted intermediary - Feb 21, 2009
- Pakistan's help sought as deadline for UN hostage nears - Mar 05, 2009
- UN seeks direct contact with Solecki''s kidnappers - Feb 17, 2009
- UN hostage said to have been killed is alive (Lead) - Feb 23, 2009
- UN in direct contact with Soleckis abductors to ensure his safe return - Feb 15, 2009
- Baluch militant outfit behind UN officials abduction - Feb 08, 2009
- Freed UN official flown to US - Apr 05, 2009
- BLUF sets 48-hour deadline for Solecki''s release - Mar 17, 2009
- UN relieved over Solecki's safe return by kidnappers in Pak - Apr 05, 2009
- UN officials mother appeals for sons early, safe return - Feb 22, 2009
- Pakistan's senate committee appeals for release of kidnapped UN official - Mar 05, 2009
- Terrorist outfit says abducted UNHCR official Solecki is alive - Feb 23, 2009
- Pakistani kidnappers set four-day deadline to kill UN official - Mar 02, 2009
- Baloch outfit extends deadline for fulfillment of its demands - Feb 16, 2009
Tags: abducted, abductors, active communication, dawn, deterioration, february 2, gunpoint, high commissioner, islamabad, liberation, prisoners, provincial government, quetta, refugee agency, safe way, southwestern province, tribal leaders, un high commissioner for refugees, unhcr, united front