UN chief condemns Pakistan mosque suicide attackAugust 20th, 2011 - 7:35 am ICT by IANS
United Nations, Aug 20 (IANS) UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has condemned in the strongest terms the suicide attack at a mosque during Friday prayers in Pakistan where at least 50 people were killed.
“The secretary-general is appalled at this deliberate attack at a place of worship during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, and the reported use of a teenager to perpetrate the attack,” Xinhua quoted Ban as saying in a statement.
Over 50 people were killed and more than 125 were injured when a teenaged suicide bomber blew himself up inside a packed mosque in Ghondi area of Jamrud district of Khyber Agency bordering Afghanistan.
Reports said there were about 400 people in the mosque, which partially collapsed following the explosion.
The UN chief said: “The UN continues to stand by Pakistan in its efforts to combat the scourge of terrorism.”
The secretary-general also extended his heartfelt condolences to the families of the victims and the government of Pakistan.
- UN chief condemns suicide bombing in Pakistan - Feb 11, 2011
- UN chief condemns Pakistan bombing - Jan 11, 2012
- Over 50 die as suicide bomber explodes in mosque (Second Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- UN chief condemns Pakistan killings - Feb 29, 2012
- Pakistan determined to defeat terrorism: Zardari - Aug 20, 2011
- UN chief condemns Pakistan school bus attack - Sep 14, 2011
- UN chief 'saddened' by Afghan attacks - Dec 07, 2011
- UN chief condemns Nigeria terror attack - Jan 22, 2012
- UN Secretary General condemns 'abhorrent attack of terrorism' in Pak - Dec 27, 2010
- UN Secretary-General condemns church bomb attack in Egypt - Jan 03, 2011
- Suicide bomber kills 55 at Shiite shrine in Kabul - Dec 07, 2011
- Suicide bombings kill more than 30 at mosque in southeast Iran - Dec 16, 2010
- UN chief condemns Nigeria blast - Aug 26, 2011
- UNSC condemns Delhi attack; vows to combat terror - Sep 08, 2011
- UN chief slams attack on Pakistan's military training centre - May 14, 2011
Tags: afghanistan, ban ki moon, deliberate attack, explosion, government of pakistan, heartfelt condolences, holy month of ramadan, month of ramadan, muslim holy, pakistan mosque, place of worship, prayers, ramadan, scourge, suicide attack, suicide bomber, teenager, un secretary general, united nations, xinhua