UN chief condemns Pakistan killingsFebruary 29th, 2012 - 8:55 am ICT by IANS
United Nations, Feb 29 (IANS) UN Secretary-General Ban Ki- moon has strongly condemned an attack in Pakistan in which at least 18 people were killed and eight others were injured.
The suspected sectarian attack occurred when gunmen dressed in army uniforms stopped a bus, ordered the passengers to get down and opened fire at them. The pre-dawn attack took place in Kohistan district in the northwest Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, the Geo News reported.
“The secretary-general strongly condemns the attack in Pakistan today in which gunmen reportedly killed eighteen people after ordering them off a bus travelling between Islamabad and the town of Gilgit,” Xinhua quoted a statement issued here by Ban’s spokesman Tuesday.
“The secretary-general extends his heartfelt condolences to the families of the victims of this abhorrent attack, as well as to the government of Pakistan,” it said.
“The United Nations stands by Pakistan in its efforts to combat the scourge of terrorism and extremism, which continues to claim the lives of so many Pakistanis,” the statement added.
Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani also condemned the attack.
- UN chief condemns Pakistan school bus attack - Sep 14, 2011
- Militants gun down 18 bus passengers in Pakistan (Second Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Militants gun down 18 bus passengers in Pakistan (Evening Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- UN chief condemns Pakistan mosque suicide attack - Aug 20, 2011
- UN chief condemns Pakistan bombing - Jan 11, 2012
- UN chief condemns suicide bombing in Pakistan - Feb 11, 2011
- 18 killed in Pakistani bus ambush (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- UN Secretary General condemns 'abhorrent attack of terrorism' in Pak - Dec 27, 2010
- Seven dead in Pakistan bus attack (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Suicide bomber kills 55 at Shiite shrine in Kabul - Dec 07, 2011
- Seven killed in Pakistan bus attack - May 25, 2012
- Pakistani Army offers to probe bus passengers' killing - Mar 01, 2012
- UN chief slams attack on Pakistan's military training centre - May 14, 2011
- UN chief condemns Delhi bomb blast - Sep 08, 2011
- UN chief condemns Mumbai blasts - Jul 14, 2011
Tags: army uniforms, asif ali zardari, ban ki moon, dawn attack, extremism, feb 29, geo news, gilani, gilgit, government of pakistan, heartfelt condolences, khyber, pakistan killings, pakistan today, pakistanis, pre dawn, sectarian attack, un secretary general, xinhua, yousuf