UN chief condemns Pakistan attacksSeptember 4th, 2010 - 5:00 am ICT by IANS
New York, Sep 4 (DPA) UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon Friday “strongly condemned” the bomb attacks in which scores of people were killed this week in Pakistan’s cities of Quetta and Lahore.
A suicide bomb ripped through a procession of Shiite Muslims in south-western Pakistan Friday, killing 58 people and injuring more than 100, government officials said.
The bomber detonated his explosives in Quetta, the capital of Baluchistan province, as thousands of Shiite Muslims celebrated al-Quds Day, a day the Arab and Muslim world mark every year to express solidarity with the Palestinian people and against the Israeli occupation of Jerusalem.
Wednesday, dozens of people died when a Shiite procession in Lahore was attacked.
“These attacks, which deliberately targeted Shiite Muslims and killed or injured scores of civilians, are unacceptable,” Ban said in a statement.
Ban expressed his condolences to the families of the victims and to the government and people of Pakistan.
- 60 killed in suicide attack on Shia rally in Quetta - Sep 03, 2010
- 'RAW, Mossad behind Quetta blasts through Afghan network' - Sep 05, 2010
- Gilani condemns Quetta blast - Sep 03, 2010
- Two kids killed in Pakistan bombing (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Gunmen attack bus carrying Shiite Muslims in southwestern Pakistan, killing 13 - Oct 05, 2011
- Pakistan's Lashkar-e-Jhangvi claims responsibility for Quetta blast - Sep 03, 2010
- 13 die as gunmen open fire in Pakistan city (Lead) - Jul 30, 2011
- 41 killed in twin suicide blasts in Pakistan (Third Lead) - Apr 17, 2010
- 38 killed in twin suicide blasts in Pakistan (Second Lead) - Apr 17, 2010
- Two killed, 15 wounded in Iraq attacks - Dec 20, 2011
- 32 killed, 68 injured in Baghdad car bombings (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Terror bid foiled in Pakistan - Sep 24, 2011
- 76 die in Pakistan bombings - Sep 03, 2010
- 15 killed in suicide blasts targeting Shiites in Lahore, Karachi (Third Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- Rocket attack kills four in Pakistan - Mar 23, 2011
Tags: al quds day, ban ki moon, bomb attacks, civilians, condolences, dozens, dpa, explosives, government officials, israeli occupation, jerusalem, muslim world, procession, quetta, shiite muslims, solidarity, suicide bomb, un secretary general, western pakistan, york sep