Ulema protest against PIAs decision to ban crew from growing beardsFebruary 21st, 2009 - 6:40 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, Feb.21 (ANI): The Pakistan International Airline (PIA) administration is headed for some big trouble as several religious leaders have come on stage to criticize it for its banning employees from having beards.
The leaders have termed the decision as a violation of the Constitution and an abuse of fundamental rights, The News reports.
A joint statement issued by the religious leaders, including Jamaat-e-Islami Ameer Qazi Hussain Ahmad, Jamiat-e-Ittehadul Ulema President Maulana Abdul Maalikn and several others, said the PIA is trying to please the United States by prohibiting its male crew members from having beards.
Pakistan is an ideological country, having 99 per cent Muslim population, and the PIA administrations new policy was a stark violation of Sunnah of the Holy Prophet and an attempt to please the West, the statement said. (ANI)
Ulemas also showed their anger over the recent policy adopted by France, where Muslim girls are prohibited from wearing headscarves. (ANI)
- Pakistani scholar's Gujarat remarks spark row - Mar 01, 2012
- Pak religious leaders declare suicide attacks 'haram' - Dec 14, 2009
- Pak clerics warn of protests if blasphemy laws are amended - Dec 13, 2010
- Now, a declaration 'justifying' killing Musharraf for his unpardonable crimes - Oct 24, 2010
- Grand Imam of Mecca Masjid attends religious congregation in Delhi - Mar 27, 2011
- Kashmir's Barelvi, Ahle Hadith leaders deny sectarian tension - Apr 28, 2012
- Pak clerics launch campaign to protect blasphemy laws - Dec 16, 2010
- India should snap all ties with Israel, demand Muslim groups (Lead) - Jun 04, 2010
- Top three of Bangladesh religious party arrested - Jun 29, 2010
- Web abuzz over facebook ban in Pakistan - May 21, 2010
- Maulana who opposed stone-pelting - and died for it - Apr 08, 2011
- Pak politicians blast 'biased' Babri mosque judgment as 'terrible miscarriage of justice' - Oct 01, 2010
- No room for secularism in Pakistan as Islam is its sole identity: Jama'at-e-Islami - Jan 08, 2011
- Milad celebrated with gaiety in Hyderabad - Feb 05, 2012
- Obama better than Bush, so no protests, say Indian Muslims - Oct 31, 2010
Tags: ameer, anger, beards, big trouble, crew members, fundamental rights, holy prophet, hussain, jamaat e islami, jamiat, muslim girls, muslim population, pakistan international airline, pakistan international airline pia, protest, qazi hussain ahmad, religious leaders, sunnah, violation of the constitution