Two Sikhs kidnapped in Pakistan rescuedMarch 1st, 2010 - 6:05 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, March 1 (IANS) Pakistani security forces Monday rescued two Sikhs kidnapped by the Taliban in the country’s restive northwest. A third kidnapped Sikh was beheaded by his captors after their demand for ransom was not met.
Government and military officials, as also the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), while confirming the rescue of the two Sikhs, told Online news agency that the security forces Monday carried out a successful operation in an area bordering Orakzai and the Khyber Agency in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) bordering Afghanistan.
According to sources, several terrorists were killed in the operation but there was no loss of life on the side of security forces.
The security forces took charge of the rescued Sikhs — Surjit Singh and Gurvinder Singh — who, along with Jaspal Singh, were kidnapped Feb 19 and shifted them to a safe place.
Jaspal Singh was beheaded last week, an act India strongly condemned.
“I rise to strongly condemn the beheading of Sardar Jaspal Singh in the tribal area of Pakistan. This barbaric and heinous crime is deplorable in the strongest possible terms,” Indian External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna said in a suo moto statement in parliament Wednesday.
“His abductors, reportedly the Taliban, committed the grave crime when his family was not able to pay ransom money to the abductors. We express our sincere condolences to the family of the victim,” Krishna added.
- Two Sikhs rescued from Taliban in Pak's Khyber Agency - Mar 01, 2010
- India condemns abduction of Hindu, beheading of Sikh in Pakistan - Feb 24, 2010
- Did abducted Sikh youths 'escape' Taliban's captivity or 'rescued' by Pak military? - Mar 02, 2010
- After beheading, Pakistani Sikhs want to flee to India (Roundup) - Feb 22, 2010
- 'Rescued' Sikh youth recall ordeal during Taliban's captivity - Mar 03, 2010
- Beheading of Sikh condemned by Pakistan, India (Intro Roundup) - Feb 23, 2010
- MPs' team meets PM over Sikh's beheading by Taliban (Lead) - Feb 23, 2010
- SGPC, Punjab government condemn Sikh beheading in Pakistan - Feb 22, 2010
- Beheaded body of a Sikh found in Pakistan (Lead) - Feb 22, 2010
- SGPC condemns beheading of Sikh youths by Taliban in Pakistan - Feb 22, 2010
- Beheaded body of a Sikh found in Pakistan - Feb 22, 2010
- Zardari denounces beheading of Sikh in Pakistan - Feb 22, 2010
- SGPC, Akal Takht condemns beheading of Sikh youths by Taliban in Pakistan - Feb 22, 2010
- Sikhs in Jammu and Kashmir protest Taliban act, call shutdown Tuesday - Feb 22, 2010
- BJP criticizes Centre for its callous attitude on beheading of Sikhs - Feb 22, 2010
Tags: abductors, area of pakistan, external affairs minister, gurvinder singh, heinous crime, inter services, jaspal singh, khyber agency, krishna, military officials, moto statement, ransom money, restive northwest, sardar, security forces, sikh, sikhs, sincere condolences, tribal area, tribal areas