Two guerrillas killed in north KashmirMay 8th, 2010 - 8:44 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, May 8 (IANS) Two separatist guerrillas were killed in Jammu and Kashmir’s Kupwara district Saturday in a gun battle with security forces.
A police officer said the security forces moved into Shahnagri village after being tipped about the presence of the militants in a house.
“When the militants were challenged to surrender, they opened automatic gunfire, triggering an encounter that lasted nearly eight hours,” the officer said.
Two militants were killed but their identity is yet to be established.
Police said that although the firing had stopped, police and the Rashtriya
Rifles were searching the area.
On Friday, seven guerrillas of the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba outfit and two soldiers were killed in a gunfight in the forested Sheikhpora area of north Kashmir’s Baramulla district.
Army and intelligence officials say that with the melting of snows in the mountain passes leading into the Kashmir Valley, more and more guerrillas are sneaking into Jammu and Kashmir from Pakistan.
- Five LeT guerrillas die in Kashmir gun battle (Third Lead) - May 07, 2010
- Five LeT guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight (Second Lead) - May 07, 2010
- Five LeT guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfights - Mar 28, 2012
- Three militants, one trooper killed in Kashmir gunfight (Lead) - May 11, 2010
- 10-hour Kashmir gunfight ends, five guerrillas killed (Lead) - Apr 05, 2012
- Two militants killed in Kashmir - May 11, 2010
- Five guerrillas, two soldiers die in Kashmir gunfight (Lead) - May 07, 2010
- Four separatist guerrillas killed in Jammu and Kashmir (Lead) - May 08, 2010
- Three guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight - Apr 05, 2012
- Two LeT guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight - Jun 16, 2011
- Foreign guerrilla killed in Kashmir gunfight - Mar 28, 2011
- Four infiltrators killed on LoC - Oct 01, 2011
- Gunfight between security forces, guerrillas in Kashmir - Aug 29, 2012
- Hostage rescued, gunfight starts in Kashmir (Lead) - Jul 15, 2011
- Three LeT guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight (Second Lead) - Jul 15, 2011
Tags: army, automatic gunfire, eight hours, encounter, gun battle, gunfight, intelligence officials, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir valley, lashkar e taiba, militants, north kashmir, pakistan, police officer, rashtriya rifles, security forces, separatist guerrillas, srinagar, two soldiers