Two Dutch climbers rescued from Pakistan’’s K2.August 5th, 2008 - 7:12 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Aug.5 (ANI): Two Dutch climbers who were rescued from K2, the worlds second highest mountain, on Monday are recuperating in a hospital in Skardu, in northern Pakistan.
Pakistani authorities have confirmed that 11 climbers had died in what is being touted as the deadliest episode in K2′’s history.
The two Dutch climbers were rescued from the slopes of the remote 8,611 metre (28,240 foot) peak, located deep in the Karakoram Range, bordering China.
Wilco van Rooijen, the rescued leader of the Dutch team, said that there was period when he slept without a sleeping bag, food or water.
Among the dead were three Koreans, two Nepalis, two Pakistani high altitude porters, French, Serbian and Norwegian climbers and an Irishman earlier listed as missing.
Several died when an ice wall collapsed and tore away their fixed lines as they descended having reached K2′’s summit on Friday. Others succumbed in the freezing, oxygen-starved air, stranded at an altitude known as the “Death Zone”. (ANI)
- Bodies of two mountain climbers found - Jul 16, 2012
- Italian mountain climber falls to death in Swiss Alps - Aug 22, 2011
- Pakistan confirms 11 dead in K2 avalanche - Aug 04, 2008
- Two climbers dead, seven missing on K2 - Aug 02, 2008
- Delhi teen sets out to be king of Himalayas - Jul 25, 2011
- Hope fades for 138 missing in Pakistan avalanche - Apr 11, 2012
- Third climber dies on Mt Everest - May 13, 2011
- Swedish climber Fredrik Ericsson dies after a drastic fall on the K2 peak - Aug 07, 2010
- Everest begins to give up its dead - May 13, 2010
- Chopper crashes, crew killed in bid to rescue Japanese climber (Second Lead) - Nov 07, 2010
- 'Super Sherpa' breaks Everest record with 21 summits - May 11, 2011
- Missing climber found dead on Argentine peak - Mar 02, 2011
- Spaniard dies after reaching Everest's summit - May 24, 2012
- Pakistani mountaineer climbs Mt. Everest - May 12, 2011
- Indians rewriting Everest story - May 19, 2012
Tags: death zone, dutch climbers, dutch team, foot peak, high altitude, highest mountain, irishman, islamabad, k2, karakoram range, koreans, northern pakistan, oxygen, pakistani authorities, porters, serbian, skardu, sleeping bag, slopes, wilco