Two die in Pakistan power outage protestJuly 5th, 2011 - 2:54 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, July 5 (IANS) Two people were killed and another 30 injured in a pitched battle between the police and locals who were upset over acute electricity shortage in a Pakistani town.
Local rights group, Tehrik Huqooq Mianwali, had given a call for a march Monday and a sit-in at Chashma, in Punjab province, where a number of establishments of the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission are located.
The group demanded that Mianwali district should be exempted from power outage and instead be paid royalty as about 1,000MW of electricity are produced from three plants at Chashma, while it needs just 100MW, Dawn reported Tuesday.
When the people began to move towards Chashma, the police stopped them. A police baton charge led to stone pelting by the protesters.
The mob broke through the first police cordon, but a heavy contingent of police thereafter thwarted further movement.
When the protesters pressed ahead to continue their march towards Chashma, a clash took place with the police which opened fire.
Khadim Hussain and Mehr Khan died of bullet injuries.
- Protests over power cuts in Pakistan - Jul 29, 2012
- `Scale of Pakistan's power outage certain to rouse anger' - Jul 06, 2011
- JKLF members clash with police in Srinagar - Feb 10, 2012
- Pakistan faces power shortage - Dec 26, 2011
- Pakistan panel to check unscheduled power outages - Aug 22, 2011
- Two dozen injured in Kashmir clashes (Lead) - Jul 16, 2010
- Long power cuts spark ire in Pakistani Punjab - Mar 25, 2012
- Riots in Pakistan after double murder-accused Davis 'buys' freedom - Mar 17, 2011
- Pakistani N-plant resumes operation - Oct 07, 2011
- Telangana students try to storm assembly, protests rock Hyderabad (Second Lead) - Feb 21, 2011
- Electricity from India will ease power crisis: Pakistani PM - Feb 01, 2012
- Power outage kills four Pakistani patients - Sep 14, 2011
- Top priority to resolving power crisis: Pakistani PM - Jun 29, 2012
- Pakistan sets up panel to look into power outages - Aug 08, 2011
- Violent protests in Kashmir Valley, dozens hurt - Jul 28, 2010
Tags: atomic energy commission, clash, contingent, dawn, electricity shortage, establishments, hussain, locals, mianwali, mob, pakistan atomic energy commission, pakistan power, pitched battle, plants, police baton, police cordon, power outage, protest, protesters, royalty