Two Christians shot dead outside Pak court over ‘blasphemy’July 20th, 2010 - 12:58 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, July 20 (ANI): In an incident which highlights the total collapse of security and the rule of law in Pakistan, two Christian brothers, who were accused of distributing ‘blasphemous’ pamphlets, were shot dead outside a court in Faisalabad.
According to reports, two unidentified gunmen shot dead Pastor Rashid Emmanuel and his brother Sajjad, and also left their police escort critically wounded, as they were leaving the court after a hearing .
“Both brothers were rushed to hospital where they were pronounced dead,” The Daily Times quoted a local official, as saying.
Both Emmanuel and Rashid were arrested earlier this month along with some others on charges of igniting religious hatred by distributing sacrilegious pamphlets.
A senior church official in Faisalabad, James Aftab, said that the men had been “implicated in a fake case.”
Federal Minister for Minority Affairs Shahbaz Bhatti blamed the local mosques in Faislabad for the attack on the two brothers.
“I personally don’t think that anyone who wrote blasphemous things would put their names on the bottom,” Bhatti said.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has taken serious note of the incident and directed Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif to take all steps to ensure the safety of minorities in Faislabad and maintain law and order in the city. (ANI)
- Pak Human Rights Commission condemns murder of two Christian youths - Jul 21, 2010
- Lahore High Court orders judicial inquiry into murder of Christian brothers - Jul 22, 2010
- Zardari orders probe into Christian brothers murder, Hindu temple demolition - Jul 21, 2010
- Zardari skips, Gilani attends Shahbaz Bhatti's funeral mass - Mar 05, 2011
- Zardari, Gilani strongly condemn Shahbaz Bhatti's assassination - Mar 02, 2011
- Pak Punjab Assembly's minority members demand review of blasphemy laws - Jul 22, 2010
- Pakistani minister blames militants for attacks on Christians - Sep 15, 2010
- Pak Taliban threatens to target more blasphemy law reform supporters - Mar 03, 2011
- Pak minister's assassins leave Taliban-linked leaflets at murder spot - Mar 02, 2011
- Pakistan minister gunned down in Islamabad (Third Lead) - Mar 02, 2011
- Bhatti killers enemies of Pakistan: PM Gilani - Mar 04, 2011
- Slain Pak minister's security squad taken into police custody - Mar 03, 2011
- Zardari remembers slain minorities minister - Mar 06, 2012
- Pakistan president, PM condemn minister's assassination - Mar 02, 2011
- International manhunt on for Pakistani minister's killers - Dec 26, 2011
Tags: aftab, blasphemy, chief minister, collapse, emmanuel, faisalabad, faislabad, federal minister, gilani, law and order, minority affairs, mosques, pamphlets, police escort, rashid, religious hatred, sajjad, sharif, two brothers, unidentified gunmen