Turkey role model for Islamic states: GilaniMay 22nd, 2012 - 3:42 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, May 22 (IANS) Turkey has been a role model for the Islamic states because of its efforts towards strengthening democracy, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said.
He said Turkey has emerged as a modern society while retaining its distinct features and heritage. Gilani made the remarks after visiting Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan addressed a joint session of parliament Monday, Geo TV reported.
“We are determined to steer our partnership to even greater heights. Our bilateral trade stood at $1 billion last year. Our endeavour is to enhance it to $2 billion by end of this year,” Gilani said.
“We will also follow footsteps of Turkey to strengthen democracy. The goodwill between both countries provides a unique platform to further solidify strong ties,” he added.
The Turkish prime minister arrived here Sunday on a three-day official visit.
- Turkey offers to dramatically increase sale of military hardware to Pak - Dec 08, 2010
- Abu Dhabi prince meets Turkish leaders - Feb 29, 2012
- Israeli government the problem, not the people: Turkish PM - Oct 03, 2011
- India discusses upping ties with Canada, Turkey - Mar 28, 2012
- UEFA congress begins in Istanbul - Mar 22, 2012
- 13 die in Turkish prison fire - Jun 17, 2012
- An Islamabad-Istanbul train that will traverse 6,500 km - Apr 18, 2011
- Turkish PM says they will not remain silent if Israel attacks Lebanon - Nov 26, 2010
- Turkish nationals urged to leave Syria - Mar 16, 2012
- Ansari to go to Turkey Monday, focus on trade - Oct 08, 2011
- N.Waziristan offensive decision to be based on Pak's need, not US dictates: Gilani - Oct 15, 2010
- Turkey to build canal through Istanbul to aid sea traffic - Apr 28, 2011
- Turkey ready to broker cease-fire over fears Libya may turn into "second Iraq or Afghanistan" - Mar 28, 2011
- Turkey objects to NATO military intervention in Libya - Mar 14, 2011
- Bodies of Turkish pilots killed in Syria shooting found - Jul 05, 2012
Tags: 1 billion, bilateral trade, distinct features, endeavour, footsteps, geo tv, gilani, goodwill, heritage, islamabad, islamic states, joint session, parliament, partnership, prime minister recep tayyip erdogan, recep tayyip erdogan, role model, ties, turkey, turkish prime minister