TTP says Osama bin Laden aliveMay 2nd, 2011 - 2:31 pm ICT by ANI
Karachi, May 2 (ANI): Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) has denied the reports that Osama Bin Laden was killed, Geo News reported.
The statement came even as American officials said that the US Special Forces operation to find and kill Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden in Abbottabad in Pakistan’s Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province on Sunday was planned as an elite strike by a small team to minimize any collateral damage or death in the area.
According to CBS News, the team went on board two Black Hawk helicopters.
“It was a military team of about two dozen, but they were operating under the authority of Leon Panetta, the CIA Director, since the US military does not have authority to operate in Pakistan. A second team of about two dozen orbited out of sight in case they were needed,” the officials said.
They also said that US troops were at the compound for less than 40 minutes.
“Laden did not go peacefully. He resisted arrest and was killed in a firefight as US troops entered the compound,” the officials said.
The officials also revealed that none of the specific intelligence resulting in the raid was shared with any other country, and only a “very small group of people” inside the Obama administration knew it was to happen.
The Pakistan government was notified after the operation was over, officials say. (ANI)
- Raid to kill Laden in Pak was planned to minimize collateral damage: US officials - May 02, 2011
- Osama death: Pak says raid 'in accordance with declared US policy' - May 02, 2011
- Pakistan Taliban threaten US, Pak over Osama bin Laden's killing - May 02, 2011
- Musharraf says he would not have allowed US operation to kill Osama - May 02, 2011
- Memo documents Obama's order to get Osama - Apr 27, 2012
- Pakistani Taliban pledge revenge for Osama's death - May 02, 2011
- Osama's wife says family was living at Abbottabad compound since 2005: Source - May 04, 2011
- US revises story of Osama's killing; says he was not armed - May 04, 2011
- Four killed, five injured in Pak bomb blast - May 02, 2011
- Pak fires back at CIA chief's damning indictment of ISI double game - May 04, 2011
- Contractor who built Osama's compound detained from Abottabad - May 04, 2011
- Pakistan would have jeopardised Osama raid: CIA chief - May 04, 2011
- Highlights of Obama's speech - May 02, 2011
- Osama death: Zardari, Gilani, Pak security chiefs in emergency talks - May 02, 2011
- Someone in Pakistan knew about bin Laden's hideout: Panetta - Jan 28, 2012
Tags: abbottabad, american officials, black hawk, cbs news, cia director, collateral damage, elite strike, firefight, geo news, hawk helicopters, karachi, khyber, leon panetta, military team, osama bin laden, out of sight, pakistan government, qaeda leader, special forces, ttp