Transparency International won’t be allowed to work in Pak: MalikNovember 28th, 2010 - 2:57 pm ICT by ANI
Rawalpindi, Nov 28 (ANI): Transparency International (TI) is a detective agency, and the organisation will not be allowed to work in Pakistan, Interior Minister Rehman Malik has said.
Talking to media persons during a visit to the FIA headquarters on Saturday, Malik said TI was a detective agency, which started its work in Geneva, The News reports.
According to law, it could only talk to media, and could not gather information from the government institutions, he said, adding that a legal action would be initiated against its officials for giving bribe to extract information.
Malik said he had directed the FIA Director General to hold talks with the TI president, and apprised him of the international laws.
Earlier this month, the Interior Ministry had asked all ministries, divisions and departments to sever contacts with TI, as the government had started investigating operations of the Pakistan chapter of the international anti-corruption organisation.
It may be recalled that the Pakistan Government had come out with a strong reaction over the disclosure of a report by the TI on November 4, in which Pakistan’s position among the most corrupt nations was elevated by eight ranks.
The government had served a legal notice on it after passage of a resolution in the Sindh Assembly following the report’s publication. (ANI)
- Pak govt probing Transparency International's operations in country - Nov 21, 2010
- Pakistani minister's diktat: end corruption in 7 days - Nov 01, 2010
- Thrice-convicted officer reinstated in Pakistan's FIA - Apr 05, 2011
- 'Pak to lose foreign funding if it severs links with Transparency International' - Nov 22, 2010
- Pakistan to again seek access to 26/11 witnesses - Jan 28, 2011
- Anti-Terrorism Court issues arrest warrant for Musharraf in Benazir murder case - Feb 12, 2011
- Pakistani provincial minister quits - Nov 19, 2011
- Musharraf charged with providing Baitullah with 'opportunity to murder Benazir' - Feb 12, 2011
- Benazir Bhutto assassination probe complete: Malik - Dec 28, 2010
- Malik for targeted action against Karachi criminals - Mar 29, 2011
- Pakistan beefs up security to check terror - Sep 05, 2011
- Pakistan threatens to block Google - Sep 19, 2011
- Musharraf knew of plot to kill Benazir, reveals probe - Feb 10, 2011
- Afghan militants have entered Pak to launch terror activities: Rehman Malik - Dec 03, 2010
- Pakistani probe agency saw 5 chiefs in 30 months - Jun 22, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,