Traders scheduled to visit Pakistani Kashmir denied visaJune 1st, 2009 - 1:45 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, June 1 (IANS) Members of a 12-strong Kashmiri traders’ delegation, about to visit Pakistan and Pakistan Administered Kashmir Monday to hold talks for promoting cross-border trade, were denied visa by Pakistani authorities at the last minute, officials said.
Ram Sahai, president of the Jammu Chamber of Commerce and Industry, said they were told Sunday evening that the Pakistan government had denied visa to the delegation “due to turmoil and violence”.
“We were to leave Jammu today (Monday) and then board a flight from Delhi to Islamabad. All arrangements were done but we were conveyed last evening that the visa request has been turned down. The visit has been deferred but we do not know the fresh dates,” Sahai told IANS.
The delegation was earlier to travel to Pakistan through the Wagah border but then they were told to take a flight from Delhi. They were scheduled to have meetings in Islamabad and at three places in Pakistan Administered Kashmir for promotion of trade across the Line of Control (LoC) between the two sides of Kashmir that has been on since October last year.
A delegation of the Pakistan Administered Kashmir Chamber of Commerce had visited the Indian side last October and a team from Jammu and Kashmir was to pay a return visit in December. But it was put off following the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack. This is the second time the visit has been deferred.
- First joint trade chamber for divided Kashmir chooses chief - Feb 09, 2012
- Cross-Kashmir trade mired in problems - Dec 04, 2011
- Home secretary reviews cross-LOC trade at Poonch - May 17, 2012
- Fast-track LOC trade, travel: Mufti Sayeed - Apr 06, 2012
- Increase cross border trade in Kashmir: trade lobby - May 20, 2009
- Trade potential making India, Pakistan lift barriers - Feb 20, 2012
- Cross-LOC trade helps outsiders more, say Jammu locals - Mar 14, 2011
- Amritsar looks at trade revival - with Pakistani help - Dec 20, 2010
- Need concrete measures from Pakistan on trade: Anand Sharma - Feb 12, 2012
- India-Pakistan working to ease visa procedures: Indian envoy - Jun 08, 2011
- Union home secretary in Kashmir, meets Omar - May 16, 2012
- Cross LoC trade hampered by barter system, lack of banking (With Image) - Mar 01, 2012
- India, Pakistan MPs brainstorm on liberal visas, media role - Aug 23, 2012
- Indian, Pakistani foreign secretaries begin talks - Jul 26, 2011
- India-Pakistan to ease visa norms: Indian envoy (Lead) - Jun 08, 2011
Tags: border trade, chamber of commerce, chamber of commerce and industry, cross border, delegation, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, loc, pakistan government, pakistani authorities, second time, sunday evening, terror attack, turmoil, violence, visa request, wagah border