Tourism should be part of political agenda: SahaiJuly 6th, 2012 - 4:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 6 (IANS) Tourism Minister Subodh Kant Sahai Friday said tourism should be part of the political agenda for its huge potential for economic development.
“Tourism especially provides jobs in the rural sector while it employs 70 percent of the youth and women,” Sahai said, addressing the first conclave of tour operators from the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) countries here.
“Tourism should become a political agenda,” he added.
About 45 leading tour operators from India, Maldives, Afghanistan, Bhutan, Nepal, Bangladesh and Pakistan are participating in the conclave which is focusing on various strategies to promote tourist destinations and products in the SAARC region.
“We are from the same region and know each other culturally and historically but unfortunately when it comes to tourism, we have not done what Europe has done long back,” said Sahai.
The conclave is a follow-up to the declaration made by the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh during the 17th SAARC summit held November, 2011 in the Maldives that India will host a conclave of the top tour operators from SAARC region to boost tourism.
Participants made country-specific presentations showing the opportunities in tourism sector in their respective countries. Exclusive B2B (business-to-business) sessions were also being held during the meet to enable the operators to explore business possibilities.
- India, Mauritius to strengthen travel trade - Jul 13, 2012
- Government to attact more tourists to northeast: Minister - Nov 19, 2011
- Sahai denies nepotism in coal block allocations (Second Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Double tourist inflow, Sahay urges northeastern states - Apr 10, 2012
- Tourism Minister calls for enhanced focus on rural tourism - Mar 28, 2011
- Tourism minister presents awards for excellence in hospitality education - Mar 24, 2011
- 35 new tourist circuits to be developed under 12th Plan - Dec 14, 2011
- Sahai's Rs.100 crore largesse for Jharkhand tourism - Dec 14, 2011
- Subodh Kant Sahai calls for more thrust on domestic tourism - Mar 14, 2011
- India Pakistan talks an anomaly in SAARC: Secretary General - Feb 05, 2011
- India announces capacity-building initiatives for SAARC - Nov 10, 2011
- India to host Global Tourism Mart - Sep 08, 2011
- South Asia can become energy surplus: Bhutan PM - Apr 23, 2012
- MoU with ASEAN will boost joint tourism, feels India - Jan 13, 2012
- India unveils duty cuts for SAARC LDCs, says let's trust each other - Nov 10, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,