Toll in Pakistan mall blaze rises to 12 (Lead)December 22nd, 2008 - 12:55 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Dec 21 (Xinhua) The death toll from a shopping centre fire in the eastern Pakistani city of Rawalpindi reached 12 as more bodies were recovered from the rubbles of the collapsed building, officials said Sunday.Four rescue workers were still missing, emergency cell head Mumtaz Hussain Zahid said.
TV reports quoted Zahid as saying that a total of 59 people were injured in the incident in the major shopping mall in Rawalpindi, some 30 km south of Islamabad.
Blaze erupted early Friday in the five-storey building which houses 500 small and big shops, mainly electronic and garment shops.
Helicopters from army aviation also took part in the operation to put out fire but the fire spread in hours in the whole building, sending thick smoke in the air.
It is believed that short-circuit has caused the blaze but there was no official confirmation.
The owner of the shopping plaza said the fire was the result of a “sabotage”.
Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari has ordered inquiry into the blaze.
- Over 120 shops gutted in Pakistan - Nov 19, 2011
- Fire in liquor shop near Sahara Mall in Gurgaon - Jul 02, 2012
- Toll in Pakistan mall blaze rises to eight, six missing - Dec 21, 2008
- Two killed in Pakistan building collapse - Aug 04, 2011
- Three killed, 40 hurt as mall collapses in Pakistan - Dec 20, 2008
- Shops, houses gutted in Bangladesh fire - Mar 13, 2012
- Minor fire at Indian embassy in Myanmar (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Five dead in Pakistan building collapse - Apr 13, 2012
- Karachi building collapse toll rises to 16 - Aug 06, 2011
- 20 dead, nearly 200 wounded in Kabul fire - Jul 05, 2012
- Two die in Russia shopping mall fire - Jan 23, 2011
- Fire at Indian embassy in Myanmar - Jul 16, 2012
- Pune mall catches fire, 15 rescued - Jun 21, 2012
- Fire destroys property in Punjab town - Aug 17, 2010
- Pakistani plane with 127 on board crashes, no survivors (Third Lead) - Apr 21, 2012