Timeline of Mumbai terror attacks trialMay 2nd, 2010 - 2:51 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 2 (IANS) Finally, the verdict in the Mumbai terror attacks trial will be delivered Monday, May 3, by Special Judge M.L. Tahaliyani. The following is the timeline of the Nov 26-29, 2008, carnage trial:
Nov 26: Ajmal Amir Kasab and 9 other Pakistani fidayeens launch commando style attacks simultaneously at several locations in and around south Mumbai.
Nov 27: Around 1.30 a.m., Kasab is caught by policemen from Girgaum Chowpatty in south Mumbai, placed under arrest and admitted to Nair hospital.
Nov 29: Kasab gives statement to police, confesses his role in the carnage.
Nov 29: All places under siege secured, 9 terrorists killed, Kasab sole terrorist caught alive.
Nov 30: Kasab records confession before police.
Dec 27/28: Identification parade held.
Jan 13: Maharashtra government appoints M.L. Tahaliyani as 26/11 trial Special Judge.
Jan 16: Arthur Road Jail selected, prepared and fortified for the high profile Kasab trial.
Feb 5: Kasab’s DNA samples match with articles seized from shipping vessel Kuber.
Feb 20/21: Kasab makes confession before Magistrate R.V. Sawant-Wagule.
Feb 22: Ujjwal Nikam, veteran of March 12, 1993, terror trial, appointed Special Public Prosecutor for 26/11 trial.
Feb 25: Charge sheet against Kasab, two others filed in Esplanade Metropolitan Court.
Apr 1: Court appoints Anjali Waghmare as Kasab’s lawyer.
Apr 15: Anjali Waghmare removed as Kasab’s lawyer.
Apr 16: S.G. Abbas Kazmi appointed as Kasab’s lawyer.
Apr 17: Kasab’s confession opened in court, he retracts it.
Apr 20: Prosecution charges Kasab on 312 counts.
Apr 29: Kasab is major: experts’ opinion.
May 6: Charges framed, Kasab charged on 86 counts, but he denies charges.
May 8: First eyewitness deposes, identifies Kasab.
June 23: Non-bailable warrants issued against 22, including wanted accused Hafeez Saeed, Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, who are absconders.
June 25: Kasab suffering from stomach ulcers, court told.
July 20: Kasab pleads guilty before Judge Tahaliyani.
Nov 30: S.G. Abbas Kazmi removed as Kasab’s lawyer.
Dec 1: K.P. Pawar officially takes place of Kazmi.
Dec 16: Prosecution completes case in 26/11 terror attack.
Dec 18: Kasab denies all charges.
Feb 11: 26/11 lawyer Shahid Azmi shot dead.
Feb 22: David Coleman Headley issue crops up in court.
Feb 23: Final arguments begin from March 9.
March 31: Arguments in the case end.
April 6: Home Minister R.R. Patil says the bodies of 9 slain terrorists - lying in morgue for over 15 months - had been secretly disposed off.
May 3: Special Judge M.L. Tahaliyani to pronounce the verdicts for Kasab, co-acused Fahim Ansari and Sabahuddin Ahmed in the Special Court, Mumbai.
- Timeline of case against Kasab - Aug 29, 2012
- Timeline of 26/11 case - Feb 21, 2011
- Timeline in 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks trial - Mar 31, 2010
- Nov 26, 2008 - May 3, 2010: timeline of 26/11 trial - May 03, 2010
- 26/11 attack case judge Tahaliyani elevated to Bombay High Court - Mar 15, 2011
- Kazmi sacked as Kasab's lawyer - Nov 30, 2009
- Kasab's lawyer found lying, judge threatens to replace him - Nov 26, 2009
- Kasab to appeal death sentence in Supreme Court - Feb 23, 2011
- Kasab appeals against death sentence - Jun 04, 2010
- Expenditure on Kasab not as high as projected: Lawyers - Nov 25, 2011
- New lawyer Pawar takes charge of Kasab's case - Dec 01, 2009
- Pakistani court adjourns hearing of Mumbai terror-attack case - Feb 26, 2011
- Kasab's lawyer Kazmi sacked by Special Court (Lead) - Nov 30, 2009
- First phase of Mumbai terror attacks end (Lead) - Dec 16, 2009
- Kasab's lawyer Kazmi sacked for 'non-cooperation' (Second Lead) - Nov 30, 2009
Tags: amir, arthur road, carnage, chowpatty, commando style, confession, dna samples, esplanade, kasab, launch, magistrate, maharashtra government, metropolitan court, nair, public prosecutor, south mumbai, special judge, stomach ulcers, terror attacks, zaki