Tight security at Pakistan governor’s funeral prayers (Lead)January 5th, 2011 - 5:04 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Jan 5 (IANS) Thousands policemen and paramilitary Pakistan Rangers were deployed at the Governor House in Lahore Wednesday where various political leaders and senior government officials were to attend the funeral prayers of assassinated Punjab governor Salman Taseer. Taseer’s body will be laid to rest at a graveyard in the Cavalry Ground of the city, Dawn reported. The body will be taken to the ground by a helicopter.
The national flag is being flown at half-mast Wednesday at all government buildings and offices in Pakistan. The federal government Tuesday declared three-day mourning for Taseer.
President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, among other senior government officials, will attend the funeral. Security has been beefed-up ahead of the funeral.
About 4,000 policemen and Rangers were deployed at the Governor House. In addition, a large number of security personnel were deployed on the roads leading to the burial ground.
The high-profile governor was killed by a member of his special security squad Tuesday when he was coming out of a coffee shop and walking towards his vehicle in Islamabad’s upscale Koshar market. His body was flown into Lahore the same day.
The assassin, Mumtaz Qadri, immediately surrendered.
Interior Minister Rehman Malik has formed a joint probe team to investigate the murder.
Malik said: “We want to ascertain whether it was an act of an individual or someone else is also behind this killing.”
- Body of Pakistani governor laid to rest (Second Lead) - Jan 05, 2011
- Slain Pakistani governor's funeral prayers Wednesday - Jan 05, 2011
- Police complaint filed in Taseer killing case - Jan 05, 2011
- Governor Taseer's assassin produced before terrorism court - Jan 06, 2011
- Assassinated Pak Punjab Governor laid to rest in Lahore - Jan 05, 2011
- Slain Pakistani governor's son kidnapped - Aug 26, 2011
- Three-day mourning in Pakistan for Punjab governor - Jan 04, 2011
- Continued absence of public prosecutor may see Salman Taseer assassin walk free - Feb 05, 2011
- Judicial commission to probe Salman Taseer's assassination - Jan 06, 2011
- Zardari, Gilani assure recovery of Taseer - Aug 27, 2011
- PPP divided over judicial inquiry in Taseer killing - Jan 15, 2011
- Pak Punjab Governor's assassin appears in Rawalpindi court for trial hearing - Jan 24, 2011
- Minorities committee asks Pak Govt. to pursue Taseer murder case 'properly' - Feb 20, 2011
- 'Pak govt. failed to present Taseer's murder in right perspective' - Apr 18, 2011
- Salman Taseer's killer remanded to police custody for a day - Jan 06, 2011
Tags: burial ground, coffee shop, gilani, government buildings, government officials, graveyard, interior minister, lahore, national flag, pakistan rangers, policemen, political leaders, probe team, rehman malik, salman taseer, security personnel, security squad, special security, tight security, zardari