Three-fold salary hike for SC, HC judgesFebruary 24th, 2009 - 8:37 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb. 24 (ANI): The Parliament on Monday approved a bill facilitating salary hike of the Supreme Court and the High Courts judges. The judges are likely to get a three-fold salary rise.
Last week, Lok Sabha had approved The High Court and Supreme Court Judges Amendment (Salaries and Conditions of Service) Bill 2008.
The bill will increase the salary of the Chief Justice of India from 33,000 rupees to one lakh rupees per month, while other apex court judges will get a boost of 90,000 rupees from their earlier 30,000 per month salary.
It proposes to increase the salary of the Chief Justice of High Courts from 30,000 rupees to 90,000 rupees per month, and HC judges salary from 26,000 rupees to 80,000 rupees per month.
Law Minister H R Bhardwaj said under the Sixth Pay Commission provisions for the salary and allowances of civil servants, the salary of judges was needed to be revised.
This is a nominal increase considering the dignity of the office of judiciary. This is a token increase after the Sixth Pay Commission recommendations, he said.
Debating on the bill, the BJP leader, Arun Jaitley, said he supported the Bill but wanted changes in the appointment procedure of the judges and also a system to look into the allegations of misdemeanor by judges as impeachment was used in the rarest of rare cases. (ANI)
- Himachal legislators to get fat salary hike - Apr 05, 2012
- Jharkhand hikes salaries of ministers, legislators - Sep 03, 2011
- Huge salary hike, laptops, i-Pads, phones for Andhra legislators - Mar 29, 2011
- Karnataka ministers, law makers get over 100 percent salary hike - Jun 07, 2011
- Union Cabinet approves Judicial Accountability Bill with amendments - Oct 05, 2010
- Mukherjee meets Lalu, Mulayam to end deadlock over MPs salary hike - Aug 21, 2010
- Cabinet clears salary hike of MPs - Aug 20, 2010
- Court refuses to stay honorarium to Imams (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- Court refuses to stay honorarium to Imams - May 04, 2012
- Panel on school fee hike to start work from Dec 26 - Dec 23, 2011
- Gujarat warned on delay in labour court judges' pay hike - Dec 28, 2010
- Supreme Court and High Court Judges salaries increased - Nov 28, 2008
- Cabinet clears bill on judicial transparency - Oct 05, 2010
- Cabinet hikes MPs' perks - Aug 23, 2010
- Pension bonanza for ex-servicemen after Supreme Court ruling - Mar 16, 2010
Tags: apex, apex court, appointment procedure, bhardwaj, bjp leader, chief justice of india, civil servants, commission recommendations, hc, high courts, impeachment, judiciary, lakh, law minister, Lok Sabha, misdemeanor, rare cases, rupees, salary hike, supreme court judges