Third round of Nepal prime ministerial election todayAugust 2nd, 2010 - 2:34 pm ICT by ANI
Kathmandu, Aug 2 (ANI): Nepal Parliament will conduct a third runoff election for the post of prime minister today after previous two elections failed to elect a prime minister.
UCPN (Maoist) Chairman Pushpa Kamal Dahal alias Prachanda and Nepali Congress Parliamentary Party Leader Ram Chandra Poudel are vying for the most sought re-election today.
The Parliament decided to hold the re-election after both Prachanda and Poudel failed to muster the simple majority in the second-runoff election.
On the second-runoff, Prachanda secured 242 votes including 237 votes from his party. 114 votes were cast in opposition while 226 lawmakers went for ‘no vote’. The five additional votes came from the Rastriya Janamukti Party, the Nepa Rastriya Party and the Nepali Janata Dal.
Similarly, out of the total 592 votes cast, Poudel bagged 124 votes, 114 from his party and 10 votes from the Rastriya Prajatantra Party and the Rastriya Janashakti Party. Likewise, 228 votes were counted as ‘no vote’.
Meanwhile, the CPN (UML), four Madhesi parties and some fringe parties will remain neutral because it hopes for a “Prime Minister by consensus”.
If the two groups maintain their posture, only 409 members will cast their votes in favour or against the two candidates.
In such a situation, no candidate will be able to secure a minimum of 300 votes required to win the race.
Meanwhile, Speaker Subash Chandra Nemwang has called a meeting of the legislature parliament’s Business Advisory Committee (BAC) at 3 pm to discuss strategy if today’s election also fails to elect a prime minister, Nepalnews reported. (ANI)
- Nepal next prime ministerial runoff on August 2 - Jul 24, 2010
- Fourth round of Nepal prime ministerial election today - Aug 06, 2010
- Poudel fails to get elected as Nepal PM in eleventh round of polls - Oct 07, 2010
- Voting for new Nepal PM today - Jul 21, 2010
- Nepal Parliament to vote for a sixth time for post of PM - Sep 05, 2010
- Nepal election stalemate, a setback for Maoists - Jul 22, 2010
- Maoists return to power in Nepal - Aug 28, 2011
- Anger in Nepal as PM poll likely to fail again - Aug 22, 2010
- Nepal faces another fruitless poll for prime minister - Sep 25, 2010
- Nepal Maoist chief to visit China again - Sep 27, 2010
- PM election gives Nepal sleepless nights - Aug 03, 2010
- Prachanda fails to win Prime Ministerial election even in 6th attempt - Sep 05, 2010
- Sixth round of Nepal PM poll to take place Sunday - Sep 04, 2010
- Ballot battle in Nepal parliament Sunday for new PM - Aug 25, 2011
- Nepal fails to elect new PM yet again (Roundup) - Aug 02, 2010
Tags: advisory committee, aug 2, bac, business advisory, cpn, dahal, janata, kamal, maoist, nepa, nepali congress, nepalnews, parliamentary party, party leader, posture, prachanda, ram chandra, rastriya prajatantra party, runoff election, subash chandra