The16 ‘mysterious’ but ‘entitled’ persons using billion rupee bullet-proof Merc’s in Pak !April 21st, 2009 - 6:09 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Apr.21 (ANI): The Shaukat Aziz Government in Pakistan had purchased 28 bullet-proof Mercedez Benz cars to be used by officials who were entitled for using a bullet-proof vehicle, while the government has the list of 18 persons who are currently using the vehicles, strangely enough it has no details of the remaining 16 persons who have these luxurious vehicles at their disposal.
According to The News, despite several queries the Cabinet Division which maintains the central pools of these cars, has not released the names of the officials who are using the vehicles.
A report has revealed that these 16 vehicles are being used by Cabinet Division’s own officers for official and general duty.
However, Cabinet Division Secretary Zafar Mahmood has denied that any of his officers were using the cars.
“No officer of the ministry is allowed to use Mercedes Benz at any cost, what to talk of bullet-proof cars .The official document you have, may have contained some serious printing mistakes,” Mahmood told the newspaper.
“I will check the list and then tell you that who is using these cars,” he added.
As of now the list of 18 persons, about which the Lower House has information, using the bullet-proof cars include names of former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, Chief of Army Staff General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani, Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi, Information Minister Qamar Zaman Kaira, Defence Minister Ahmed Mukhtar and others.
Interestingly, the documents procured by the newspaper mentions that the officials who are using the Merc are ‘entitled’ to do so, but according to the law of the country even the federal secretary or a minister is not entitled to drive an official bullet-proof Mercedes unless approved by the Prime Minister.
It may be noted that Prime Minister himself was sentenced to seven years jail term by a NAB court for misusing one of such vehicle when he was Speaker of the National Assembly from 1993 to 1996. (ANI)
- Pak Punjab Chief Minister, Governor at loggerheads over bullet-proof Mercedes - May 14, 2010
- Mamata not to use bullet-proof car - May 20, 2011
- Daimler Financial Services bets big on lease deals - Jul 19, 2011
- Security firms show off their wares in Mexico - Apr 14, 2011
- Bhutto's security was Musharraf govt's responsibility: Malik - Apr 25, 2010
- Malik, Awan's role in Bhutto's murder must be probed: Pak daily - Apr 21, 2010
- Mercedes-Benz is official partner of Noida F1 track - Aug 24, 2011
- Biggest Mercedes-Benz deal in a day in Aurangabad - Oct 15, 2010
- Musharraf ordered 35 bulletproof Mercedes from Japan to safeguard his ministers, bureaucrats - Nov 21, 2009
- What Pranab Mukherjee will earn - Jul 22, 2012
- Mercedes and Jaypee Sports launch performance driving academy - Jan 04, 2012
- Mercedes-Benz launches pre-owned car business in India - Jun 28, 2010
- Gaddafi crosses Libya-Algeria border: Report - Aug 27, 2011
- Mercedes-Benz sells 90 C-class cars' to Carzonrent - Jul 18, 2011
- Mercedes-Benz sales soar - Apr 05, 2012
Tags: army staff, ashfaq, bullet proof cars, chief of army, defence minister, division secretary, federal secretary, foreign minister, former prime minister, information minister, islamabad, jail term, merc, mercedes benz, mukhtar, nab, official document, shah mahmood, shaukat aziz, zafar