‘Terrorism mentally impacts 80 percent of Waziristan residents’June 21st, 2011 - 2:19 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 21 (IANS) About 80 percent of the residents of Pakistan’s restive South and North Waziristan region have been mentally impacted by terror acts and drone attacks, a survey by an NGO has found.
Dawn reported Tuesday that the drone strikes and acts of terrorism have not just affected the mental health of tribesmen but also the people of settled areas.
“About 80 percent residents of South and North Waziristan agencies have been affected mentally while 60 percent people of Peshawar are nearing to become psychological patients if these problems are not addressed immediately,” said the survey, conducted by NGO Horizon.
US drone attacks have repeatedly taken place in the region to take out terrorists. The locals are strongly opposed to the drone strikes.
The survey was carried out under the supervision of psychologist Khalid Mufti.
It showed that that seven to nine percent of the children have become victims of phobia due to constant telecast of terrorism-related visuals by TV channels.
Mufti urged TV channels to avoid showing footage of terror-related incidents to improve the mental health of people and children and sought the creation of job opportunities and recreational activities to improve the lives of people living in the restive areas.
Mufti said during the past 10 years, the youth were confronted with mental and economic pressure while children and women faced depression due to the uncertain situation.
“These problems need to be addressed for survival of our young generation and improving lifestyle of people,” he was quoted as saying.
- Militants kill US spies to avenge drone attacks - Dec 24, 2010
- US drone strike kills 4 in northwest Pakistan - Sep 01, 2012
- 16 die in US drone strike in Pakistan - Aug 10, 2011
- Huge Pakistan rally demands halt to US drone strikes - Oct 28, 2011
- US drones kill seven in Pakistan (Lead) - Aug 19, 2012
- Drone strike kills five more in Pakistan - Aug 19, 2012
- 17 killed in Pakistan drone strikes - Aug 24, 2012
- Eight killed in Pakistan drone strike - Mar 13, 2012
- 21 killed in Pakistan drone strikes (Lead) - Jul 07, 2012
- 'Lethal drone strikes in Pak tribal region fuelling massive spurt in assassinations' - Dec 24, 2010
- U.S. drone strikes kill 21 in North Waziristan - Aug 10, 2011
- Eight die in drone strike in Pakistan - May 12, 2011
- 18 killed in Pakistan drone attacks (Lead) - Dec 27, 2010
- 10 killed in Pakistan drone strike - May 24, 2012
- Drone strikes kill 58 in Pakistan (Second Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,