Terror groups have penetrated ISI: RiedelJune 6th, 2009 - 1:27 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Jun.6 (ANI): Pakistan’s premier intelligence agency the Inter Services Intelligence (ISI) has been penetrated by some extremist groups that it had once nurtured to fight in Afghanistan and create havoc in Kashmir, US President Barack Obama’s key Advisor Bruce Riedel has said.
Addressing delegates at a talk on the Pakistani intelligence agency at the International Spy Museum here recently, Riedel said there are certain reports that suggest that the ISI has links with some of the terror outfits.
Referring to the attack on the ISI building in Lahore last month, Riedel said: “When you have attacks inside fortified compounds, like the one last week in Lahore, those are being done by someone who’s working a double game. But that doesn’t mean the agency itself is a rogue organization. It means it’s been penetrated.”
Commenting on the ISI’s connection with terror outfits, the Dawn quoted Riedel, as saying: “It is fighting some, tolerating others and patronizing a few.”
There was no substantial proof that the ISI is cooperative with the Taliban or Al-Qaeda, he added.
He highlighted that terror outfits like the Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) were cooperating with groups similar to it.
“Selective counter-terrorism is weak counter-terrorism, because the bad guys tend to operate together,” Riedel said. (ANI)
- Zardari believes LeT-supporter Pak Army playing double game on terror: Ex-CIA officer - Apr 19, 2011
- Killing of Bin Laden certifies that Pak is a terrorist sanctuary: Expert - May 03, 2011
- LeT now more dangerous than Al Qaeda: US expert - Jul 10, 2012
- Reset Pakistan policy to check terror syndicate: Former CIA analyst - Dec 28, 2011
- LeT elimination among US' 'sizeable wish-list' to Pak to uproot terror - Apr 29, 2011
- India, US to begin internal security dialogue, talk terror - May 25, 2011
- Fearing recruitment, India restricts contacts with CIA - Jul 23, 2012
- WikiLeaks: Pakistan spy chief shared intelligence with Israel post 26/11 - Dec 02, 2010
- India, US launch internal security dialogue - May 27, 2011
- US envoy asks Pak to act tough on 26/11 plotters - May 04, 2011
- India must go for covert action in Pakistan: Book - Jul 27, 2012
- Krishna to go to Dhaka, PM warns against Jamiat-ISI links - Jun 30, 2011
- India compliments US for 26/11 trial - May 27, 2011
- In security talks with US, India terms Pakistan fragile state (Intro Roundup) - May 27, 2011
- India, US to boost security cooperation (Roundup) - May 27, 2011
Tags: al qaeda, bad guys, barack obama, bruce riedel, compounds, counter terrorism, dawn, delegates, double game, extremist groups, havoc, intelligence agency, inter services, international spy museum, isi, kashmir, lashkar e taiba, substantial proof, taliban, terror groups