Ten schoolchildren kidnapped in Pak’s Kurram region freed following negotiationsApril 2nd, 2011 - 4:26 pm ICT by ANI
Parachinar, April 2(ANI): The ten schoolchildren kidnapped by unidentified gunmen in Pakistan’s northwestern tribal region of Kurram earlier on Saturday have been released following negotiations between a local jirga and the militants involved in the abductions.
The students were heading home after giving their Matriculation examination when the kidnappers whisked them away from lower Kurram’s Baggan area.
They were released later in the day after negotiations were held between the jirga and the insurgents.
Over 60 people have been abducted from the area within the past few days.
Almost two weeks ago, eight people were killed and 33 were kidnapped when unidentified gunmen opened fire on cars travelling from Parachinar to Peshawar.
Many Taliban militants escaping a Pakistan army operation in the nearby Orakzai tribal region are believed to have fled to Kurram, which is located near the Afghan border. (ANI)
- Ten schoolchildren kidnapped in Pak's Kurram region - Apr 02, 2011
- 24 Pakistanis kidnapped during tribal festival - Mar 23, 2011
- Two killed, six injured in landmine blast in northwest Pakistan - Apr 30, 2011
- At least 20 suspected militants killed in Pak tribal region - Dec 30, 2010
- Seven militants killed in Pakistan's tribal area - Aug 01, 2012
- 18 killed in militant attack in Pakistan - Jul 17, 2010
- Militants kill 8 and kidnap several others in northwest Pakistan - Mar 25, 2011
- Five suspected militants killed in Pakistan - Jan 06, 2012
- Taliban claim responsibility for abducting 30 kids - Sep 03, 2011
- Eight people killed in suspected sectarian violence in northwest Pakistan - Mar 25, 2011
- Seven killed in bus attack in northwest Pak - Mar 13, 2011
- At least eight militants killed in Pak's Kurram Agency - Mar 31, 2011
- At least eight militants killed in Pakistan's Kurram Agency - Mar 31, 2011
- Four people shot dead in Pakistan - Sep 01, 2011
- Five killed as blast hits van in Pakistan - Mar 13, 2012
Tags: abducted, abductions, army operation, cars, few days, gunmen opened fire, insurgents, jirga, kidnappers, kurram, matriculation examination, militants, negotiations, pakistan army, parachinar, schoolchildren, students were heading home, taliban, unidentified gunmen