Tamil newspaper editor attacked in northern Sri LankaJuly 30th, 2011 - 3:37 am ICT by BNO News
COLOMBO, SRI LANKA (BNO NEWS) — The chief editor of a newspaper in northern Sri Lanka was attacked on Friday by an unidentified gang outside his office, police said.
The Colombo Page reported that according to reports two men followed Gnanalingam Kanganathan of the Tamil language Uthayan newspaper in the city of Jaffna and assaulted him with iron bars. The attack occurred while the news editor was traveling along the Navalar road.
Kanganathan was rushed to the Jaffna Hospital with head injuries. Police are conducting further investigations.
The newspaper, which was critical of the government during the country’s civil war, has come under attack before. In 2006, an armed group attacked the office in Jaffna and killed two employees.
The bloody civil war between the government and the Tamil Tigers left as many as 100,000 people dead. The Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam was militarily wiped out in May 2009, ending the 26-year-old civil war. Both sides have been accused of war crimes and other human rights violations.
- Sri Lanka admits civilian deaths during separatist war - Aug 02, 2011
- Sri Lankan Tamil party accuses army of attacking its election meeting - Jun 18, 2011
- Withdraw army from Sri Lanka's northeast, says TULF (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- TULF condemns assault on Tamil journalist - Aug 01, 2011
- Prabhakaran's mother dies in Sri Lanka - Feb 20, 2011
- Swiss to grill Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka - Jul 27, 2012
- Sri Lanka's former army commander denies accusing military of war crimes - May 13, 2011
- Rajapaksa wants to discuss targeting of Sri Lankans with India - Sep 07, 2012
- Tamil newspaper staff get death threats - Jul 02, 2009
- India votes for US resolution on Sri Lanka (Lead) - Mar 22, 2012
- India to open consulate in Jaffna: Rao - Mar 08, 2010
- India to open consulate in Jaffna soon - Jan 29, 2010
- Withdraw army from Sri Lanka's northeast, says TULF - Jun 17, 2011
- Mathai raises issue of Tamil fishermen with Sri Lanka - Oct 10, 2011
- Sri Lanka envoy apologises to Indian MPs - Mar 15, 2012
Tags: armed group, bloody civil war, bno, chief editor, colombo page, colombo sri lanka, head injuries, human rights violations, investigations, iron bars, jaffna hospital, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, news editor, newspaper editor, northern sri lanka, sri lanka colombo, tamil language, tamil tigers, two men, war crimes