Taliban will never be defeated, says Mullah Omar’s mentorJune 7th, 2009 - 1:04 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jun.7 (ANI): The United States is planning to send an additional 21,000 troops to Afghanistan to neutralize the Taliban, but would never achieve its goals, claims a mentor of Taliban chief Mullah Omar.
Amir Sultan Tarar alias ‘Colonel Imam’ said allied forces would not be able to overpower their enemies in Afghanistan.
He said the military offensive would only aggravate the situation, and therefore the allied forces should initiate talks with the Taliban to resolve the issues.
“You can never win the war in Afghanistan.I have worked with these people since the 1970s and I tell you they will never be defeated. Anyone who has come here, has got stuck. The more you kill, the more they will expand,” he said.
Tarar had run a training programme for Afghans during the Soviet Union’s invasion between 1979 and 1989, and played a vital role in forming the Taliban, The Times reports.
He claimed to have trained Mullah Omar in the 1980’s.
“Omar passed through the camp in 1985.He was a simple man, a small commander leading a maximum of 40 people and didn’t have much weaponry,” Tarar recalled.
He also lashed out at former Pakistan President General Pervez Musharraf for siding with the US after the 9/11 incident.
Tarar said Musharraf had severed ties with the Taliban under American pressure.
“You cannot defeat these people, they are well trained, they have a lot of ammunition and the more you kill, the more supporters will come,” Tarar recalled telling Musharraf.
He sees the current situation as a success for the extremists, and said allied forces would face the same fate as the Russians.
“I’m quite happy with the current situation because the Americans are trapped there. The Taliban will not win but in the end the enemy will tire, like the Russians,” he said.
When asked about the ‘moderate Taliban’, with which the US has claimed that negotiations are on, Colonel Imam just laughed-off the so-called ‘moderate Taliban’ theory.
“When are you people going to understand there are no number two Taliban? Those who break away from mainstream Taliban have no place in society,” he said. (ANI)
- Unease after ex-official's death in Taliban captivity - Jan 25, 2011
- Taliban chief Mullah Omar, a very wise man: ISI top agent - Feb 23, 2010
- Pakistani Taliban issues video of ISI spy's execution - Feb 20, 2011
- Mullah Omar taunts US, Britain - Aug 18, 2012
- Taliban denies Mullah Omar is dead (Night Lead) - May 23, 2011
- Pakistan Army, Afghan Taliban reject report about Mullah Omar's surgery in Karachi - Jan 20, 2011
- Former ISI officer killed by Taliban (Lead) - Jan 23, 2011
- Pak Taliban releases video of killing of former ISI officer - Feb 20, 2011
- Mullah Omar dead? Taliban says no (Second Lead) - May 23, 2011
- Post bin Laden death, keeping a straight face about Pak will be difficult for US, others - May 03, 2011
- We are close to victory in Afghanistan: Mullah Omar - Sep 09, 2010
- West responsible for making Pak breeding ground for international terrorism: Musharraf - Oct 05, 2010
- Mullah Omar dead? Taliban denies it (Fourth Lead) - May 23, 2011
- Ex-ISI officials murder aimed at provoking Army to launch N Wazirastan offensive - May 01, 2010
- Afghan peace dialogue talk "propaganda of occupation forces": Taliban commander - Jan 22, 2011
Tags: afghans, allied forces, amir, ammunition, colonel, current situation, extremists, general pervez musharraf, imam, mullah omar, pervez musharraf, president general pervez musharraf, russians, siding, simple man, taliban, tarar, training programme, war in afghanistan, weaponry