Taliban using Swat emerald money to fund terrorismMay 4th, 2009 - 2:15 pm ICT by ANI
Peshawar, May 4 (ANI): The money earned from mining and selling gemstones in Swat and Shangla district of Pakistan is used by the Taliban for terrorism, according to local entrepreneurs.
Entrepreneurs in a Gem Bazaar, organised by the Pakistan Gems and Jewellery Development Company at Namak Mandi, said that the Taliban were using the money for terrorist activities in Swat, Buner and Dir districts of Malakand division.
Babu Khan, an entrepreneur from Swat who had displayed emeralds in the bazaar, said that Taliban had started extensive mining through hired labourers and were selling the precious stones in the black market.
He said plunderers had also taken over several mines of high quality gemstones, one of which had earned the government about Rs 90 million in a single auction in the past.
Another entrepreneur from Swat, Muhammad Ali, said that the Taliban had also taken over the Mingora emerald mine.
The Shamozai emeralds mine, and the Gujaro Killay emerald mine in the adjacent district of Shangla, are also under the control of the Swat Taliban, the Daily Times reported.
Stones extracted from these mines are auctioned in the premises of the Mingora mine every Sunday, where dealers from all over Pakistan come to shop, he said.
The federal and provincial governments have not taken any action over “this looting and plunder of state property,” Muhammad Ali said.
Imran Inam, a senior official of the Gems and Jewellery Development Company, said that the US is also concerned over the Taliban occupation of emerald mines in Swat and Shangla and had talked to the Pakistani government. (ANI)
- Zambian emeralds dazzle Indian buyers - Mar 22, 2011
- Zambian emeralds sparkle in Indian jewellery - Jul 20, 2011
- Mumbai auction raises $750,000 for Indian elephants - Oct 18, 2011
- What sustains the Taliban? Gems, timber and marble - May 11, 2009
- Women entrepreneurs in gems and jewellery face many bottlenecks - Jul 22, 2012
- Pak woman claims Taliban 'publicly lashed' her over adultery allegations - Dec 01, 2010
- Yellow 'Sun-Drop' diamond auctioned for $12.36 million - Nov 16, 2011
- Taliban using profit from emeralds sale to finance world wide terror activities - Apr 05, 2009
- 37 killed as Pakistan Army battles Taliban in Swat (Lead) - May 06, 2009
- Pakistani troops battle Taliban as residents flee Swat - May 06, 2009
- Auction market for watches, jewels looking up - Oct 21, 2010
- Pak woman publicly flogged by Taliban yet to get over her horror and humiliation - Dec 07, 2010
- Pink diamond sells for record 29 mn pounds - Nov 17, 2010
- Taliban attacks, establishes control over emerald mine in NWFP - Apr 02, 2009
- Militants take over emerald mine in Pakistan - Apr 02, 2009
Tags: bazaar, buner, emerald mines, emeralds, entrepreneur, gems, labourers, local entrepreneurs, mandi, muhammad ali, pakistani government, plunder, precious stones, provincial governments, quality gemstones, rs 90, state property, swat, taliban, terrorist activities