Taliban threatens Zardari, Gilani, asks Pak govt. to discontinue Swat operationMay 24th, 2009 - 5:03 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, May 24 (ANI): The Taliban has threatened Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani and other top Pakistan Peoples’ Party (PPP) leaders, saying they would face dire consequences if the military offensive is not discontinued immediately.
In a letter to the PPP Information Secretary Fouzia Wahab, the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) warned that the country’s leadership would be targeted if the operation against them is not stopped.
Confirming the report, Wahab said such threats would not deter either her or any other party leader.
“Such threats can’t weaken our resolve against terrorism, and the PPP will not bow before the terrorists,” The Nation quoted Wahab, as saying.
Backing the government’s decision to initiate a military operation against the Taliban and other extremists in the Swat Valley, she said the Taliban had overstepped its limits following the inking of Nizam-e-Adl Regulations.
She also criticized a certain section of the people who were making an issue out of the draft of the resolution adopted in the All Parties Conference (APC) recently.
Wahab said that either those people were trying to win the sympathies of Taliban, or the epicentre of their politics was Taliban. (ANI)
- The Taliban are back to spread terror in Pak army 'sanitized' Bajaur Agency - Jun 16, 2010
- Taliban says MNA's opposing sharia regulation will be considered infidels - Apr 13, 2009
- Now, Taiban demands repeal of 'Un-Islamic' provisions in Pak constitution - Apr 17, 2009
- No talks with Taliban: Rehman Malik - Dec 12, 2011
- 'Scared' Musharraf dumps plan to return to Pakistan - Apr 10, 2011
- Britain moves to ban Pakistani Taliban - Jan 18, 2011
- Four bodies found in Pakistan - Jan 18, 2011
- Pakistani Taliban asks government to stop operations - Nov 15, 2011
- Taliban vows revenge over Osama killing - May 03, 2011
- Gunman opens fire near US consulate in Peshawar - Aug 28, 2010
- UN to review security of foreign aid workers in Pak following Taliban threat - Aug 27, 2010
- Benazir Bhutto's assassins arrested: Malik (Lead) - Mar 25, 2011
- Pak Govt. to act against Taliban if they don't disarm - Apr 15, 2009
- Taliban regrouping in FATA to attack Punjab, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa - Sep 05, 2010
- Pak Taliban planning to attack foreign aid workers involved in flood relief: US - Aug 26, 2010
Tags: apc, asif ali zardari, epicentre, extremists, fouzia, gilani, information secretary, may 24, military operation, pak govt, pakistan peoples party, party leader, prime minister, raza, swat valley, sympathies, taliban, ttp, wahab, yousuf