Taliban safe havens in Pak hindering Afghanistan’s stability : MullenApril 17th, 2009 - 12:50 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, Apr.16 (ANI): The US Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Admiral Mike Mullen has said that stability in Afghanistan is directly related to Pakistan’s action against the Taliban safe havens inside its territory.
Mullen said that the US led ‘war on terror’ in Afghanistan cannot be won until these safe havens continue to operate in the region.
“That’s why the relationship with Pakistan is so important because I think that in the end Pakistan has to address this issue,” The Daily Times quoted Mullen, as saying in an interview to CNN.
When enquired about Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari’s decision to sign the Nizam-e-Adl Regulation, which allowed implementation of Islamic laws in the Swat Valley, Mullen said the decision came as a surprise to him, and that he was not made aware about it even during his recent visit to the country.
He said the deal in Swat was explained to him, few weeks ago, as the “best deal that was executable at the time.”
Commenting on the collapse of Pakistan due to Taliban safe havens in Swat and the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA), Mullen said : “I don’t see an indication that that’s the case right now”. (ANI)
- Mullen sticks to his guns on ISI links with terror group - Sep 29, 2011
- Pakistan "epicentre of terrorism" in the world, re-iterates Admiral Mullen [Part-1] - Jan 13, 2011
- Pakistan cannot continue to be safe haven for terror: US - Sep 21, 2011
- Pak MNA's in catch-22 situation over sharia regulation - Apr 13, 2009
- Osama-bin-Laden in FATA, may strike US from there: Mullen - Jul 24, 2009
- Pakistan is 'epicentre' of global terrorism: US - Jan 13, 2011
- Mullen confirms Zardari feared military coup - Nov 17, 2011
- Safe havens in Pakistan biggest challenge in Afghan war: Mullen - Oct 03, 2011
- TNSMs deadline forces NWFP Govt to sign Nizam-e-Adl Regulation - Mar 10, 2009
- US says Nizam-e-Adl regulation against human rights, democracy - Apr 15, 2009
- Pak Govt. to act against Taliban if they don't disarm - Apr 15, 2009
- NWFP Governor briefs foreign diplomats on Swat deal - Apr 22, 2009
- Engage India more for resolving Afghanistan crisis: Sen Kerry - Aug 02, 2010
- Memogate: Never met or knew Ijaz, says Mullen - Nov 22, 2011
- Obama expresses condolences, but no apology to Pakistan - Dec 05, 2011
Tags: adl, admiral mike mullen, afghanistan, asif ali zardari, chiefs of staff, cnn, collapse, implementation, islamic laws, joint chiefs of staff, lahore, nizam, pakistan, relationship, safe havens, surprise, swat valley, taliban, tribal areas, war on terror