Taliban militants attack hotel near KabulJune 22nd, 2012 - 10:22 am ICT by IANS
Kabul, June 22 (IANS) Taliban militants have taken some people including women and children hostage by attacking a hotel near Kabul, triggering a gun battle with Afghan security forces, BBC reported Friday.
Militants armed with rocket-propelled grenades and heavy machine guns have attacked the Spozhmai hotel in the Lake Qargha area, officials said.
Reports said there were casualties and that hostages were being held inside the hotel. The Taliban have claimed the attack.
Local residents said the shootout has been on for hours after a group of Taliban gunmen, armed with rocket-propelled grenades and heavy machine guns, attacked the hotel at midnight, Xinhua reported Friday morning.
A wedding party was targetted and some people were still being held hostage inside the hotel, the residents added.
- 20 killed in Taliban attack on Afghan hotel (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Taliban attack Afghan airport - Jul 26, 2011
- 25 killed in Taliban attack in Afghanistan, BBC reporter dead (Lead) - Jul 28, 2011
- Governor among 18 killed in Afghanistan (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Afghan terror attack ends: 48 dead, 65 injured (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Gaddafi brutalizes rebel forces near Tripoli, claims control of town - Mar 05, 2011
- Taliban clashes kill 50 in Afghanistan's Baghlan Province - Mar 07, 2010
- New video shows Al Qaeda training ninjas - Jul 08, 2012
- 39 militants killed in Afghanistan - Jun 13, 2010
- Militants kill five civilians in Afghanistan - Nov 25, 2010
- 48 killed in Kabul terror siege (Third Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- 21 killed in nightmare Kabul hotel attack - Jun 30, 2011
- 28 die in Yemen weapons depot blast - May 26, 2011
- Two policemen among 12 killed in Afghan clash - Jan 19, 2012
- Hostages rescued from Somali pirates say they were threatened, tortured - Mar 16, 2011