Taliban killed Benazir Bhutto: ProbeOctober 26th, 2010 - 12:05 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Oct 26 (IANS) Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) was responsible for the assassination of former prime minister Benazir Bhutto, concluded a probe carried out by the country’s Federal Investigation Agency.
The agency is likely to submit its report before an anti-terrorism court Oct 30, Dawn reported Tuesday.
The investigation report has accused slain TTP chief Baitullah Mehsud of masterminding Bhutto’s murder.
Bhutto was assassinated Dec 27, 2007 after addressing an election rally in the northern Pakistani city of Rawalpindi. A teenaged shooter was seen aiming for her head in the CCTV footage before a powerful suicide blast killed at least 24 people participating in the rally.
The interior ministry at that time had accused Taliban of plotting to kill Bhutto while the doctors had said that “her head banged against the lever of the sunroof which caused her death”.
Sources said that the agency had not been able complete its investigation earlier due to three absconders - Abdur Rehman, Saddam and Faiz Mohammad.
The report now says that the three absconders were killed in a military operation in tribal areas.
Five TTP member, who have been arrested, are Rafaqat, Hussain, Sher Zaman, Aitzaz Shah and Abdul Rashid.
Khalid Mehmood who led the team that probed the case told the daily that its report will be presented before the court Oct 30.
The probe team had earlier decided to send a questionnaire to the interior minister since he could not be summoned or interrogated as he is a minister. However, no questionnaire was eventually sent to him.
Ashfaq Anwar, who was head of Rawalpindi’s Elite Force at the time of the killing and was responsible for Bhutto’s security, has gone to Britain on a scholarship, the media report said.
–Indo-Asian News service
- Taliban responsible for Benazir's killing, says probe (Lead) - Oct 26, 2010
- FIA holds 'Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan' responsible for Benazir's murder - Oct 26, 2010
- Benazir Bhutto's assassins arrested: Malik (Lead) - Mar 25, 2011
- Musharraf knew of plot to kill Benazir, reveals probe - Feb 10, 2011
- Benazir Bhutto murder: Musharraf sent questionnaire (Lead) - Dec 24, 2010
- Musharraf sent questionnaire on Benazir Bhutto murder - Dec 24, 2010
- Musharraf is now an accused in Benazir killing - Feb 07, 2011
- Musharraf included in Benazir murder investigation - Nov 23, 2010
- Benazir was promised she would be PM: Forensic report - Feb 09, 2011
- Benazir assassination plot hatched at brigadier's home: report - Dec 31, 2010
- Benazir Bhutto was killed by the Taliban: report - Nov 16, 2010
- Little evidence on who planned, killed Benazir: Pakistani daily - Dec 27, 2010
- Police officer told to leave venue before attack on Bhutto: Report - Oct 23, 2010
- Benazir killing accused stands third in school exam - Aug 02, 2011
- Benazir killing: Malik in dark about Musharraf being named accused - Feb 08, 2011
Tags: abdul rashid, absconders, asian news, baitullah mehsud, benazir bhutto, election rally, elite force, faiz, federal investigation, former prime minister, interior minister, investigation agency, investigation report, khalid mehmood, military operation, probe team, rehman, service rd, snb, tribal areas