Taliban kill nine policemen in Lahore (Second Lead)July 12th, 2012 - 11:59 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, July 12 (IANS) Nine policemen were shot dead by Taliban militants Thursday in Pakistan’s Lahore city while they were asleep in a building.
The attackers came on three motorcycles and stormed the two-storeyed building in the densely populated Ichhra area where some 35 police and prison staff were staying, Geo News reported.
The security personnel had come from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa to Lahore for training. Their training was scheduled to be completed July 28.
The 10 assailants, who were wearing face masks, fled after the attack around 5.30 a.m.
“The gunmen came early in the morning, entered the building and opened fire,” Lahore police chief Aslam Tareen was quoted as saying.
“We the mujahideen of TTP (Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan) claim responsibility for attack on police personnel in Lahore early today (Thursday),” Taliban spokesman Ihsanullah Ihsan said in an email to the media.
“The targeted policemen belonged to prison police of Khyber Pukhtunkhawa,” Xinhua quoted the statement as saying. The militant group claimed 10 policemen died.
- Nine policemen shot dead in Pakistan - Jul 12, 2012
- Nine policemen gunned down in Lahore (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- Seven killed in Pakistan blast (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- Pak intelligence, top cops see "foreign hand" behind Lahore, Karachi suicide attacks - Jan 26, 2011
- 15 abducted Pakistani troopers killed - Jan 05, 2012
- 25 Pakistani troopers killed in Taliban attack: Army - Aug 27, 2011
- Taliban attack Pakistani jail, nearly 400 escape - Apr 15, 2012
- Five militants killed in Pakistan - Jul 20, 2010
- 'Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan plans to target prominent politicians on Eid' - Sep 06, 2010
- Eight die in Karachi suicide bombing - Sep 19, 2011
- Five dead, 24 injured in Pakistan blast (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- Pakistan Taliban warns MPs against NATO supply restoration - Mar 26, 2012
- UN chief condemns suicide bombing in Pakistan - Feb 11, 2011
- Suicide bombing kills 36 mourners at Pakistan funeral (Third Lead, Changing dateline) - Mar 09, 2011
- Pakistan clashes kill 11 soldiers, 24 militants (Second Lead) - Dec 24, 2010
Tags: assailants, attackers, claim responsibility, email, face masks, geo news, gunmen, lahore city, militant group, militants, motorcycles, mujahideen, police chief, policemen, prison staff, security personnel, taliban, taliban spokesman, ttp, xinhua