Taliban attack Pakistani jail, nearly 400 escapeApril 15th, 2012 - 2:51 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 15 (IANS) Nearly 400 inmates escaped from a Pakistani jail early Sunday after Taliban militants attacked the facility with guns and grenades.
Over 100 militants launched the attack around 1.30 a.m. in Bannu district, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.
The militants first blew up the prison’s main gate with grenades and then attacked the guards with automatic weapons.
They opened six barracks by firing at the locks of the cells, Xinhua reported.
Of the 944 inmates at the prison, 384 escaped, police officer Sahib Jan said.
Twenty-five people, including policemen, were injured.
One of the escaped prisoners was involved in a suicide attack on the then Pakistani president Pervez Musharraf in Rawalpindi.
The Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attack and said they have freed over 1,200 prisoners.
- Taliban storm Pakistani jail, free nearly 400 inmates (Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Over 140 who fled Pakistan prison back in jail - Apr 22, 2012
- Pakistani jailbreak: senior officials transferred - Apr 17, 2012
- Pakistani daily rues lack of coordination to fight terror - Jul 13, 2012
- Video shows Taliban welcome for man who escaped jail - Apr 20, 2012
- Jail attack sign of Taliban's strength: daily - Apr 16, 2012
- Taliban are contract killers: Rehman Malik - Apr 16, 2012
- Pakistani jails are 'lightly constructed' coops: daily - Apr 23, 2012
- 9 securitymen, 15 militants killed in Pakistan clash - Oct 17, 2011
- Six die in Pakistan suicide blast (Second Lead) - Nov 30, 2010
- More blasts in Pakistan, three killed (Lead) - Jan 13, 2011
- 400 inmates flee Pakistani jail - Apr 15, 2012
- 25 Pakistani troopers killed in Taliban attack: Army - Aug 27, 2011
- Nine dead in Pakistan suicide bombing (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Four police officers killed as militants target police vehicle, security checkpoint in Pak - Jan 13, 2011
Tags: automatic weapons, cells, grenades, guns, inmates, locks, militants, pakistani president pervez musharraf, pervez musharraf, police officer, policemen, president pervez musharraf, prisoners, sahib jan, suicide attack, taliban, xinhua