Suspected ULFA militants lob grenade at Assam police superintendents officeAugust 11th, 2008 - 6:23 pm ICT by ANI
Assam, Aug 11 (ANI): Suspected ULFA militants hurled a hand grenade at the office of the Superintendent of Police, in Bongaigaon district of Lower Assam, in run up to Independence Day.
No casualty was reported in the blast.
The grenade was lobbed by ULFA militants at around 5:30 a.m , from a market place, that was located behind the office in Bongaigaon town.
The grenade is said to have exploded in the office verandah, shattering glass panes, but not causing much damage to the building.
Police have launched a manhunt to nab those involved behind the blast.
Meanwhile, ULFA and three other insurgent outfits in the Northeast have called for a general strike from 1 a.m. to 6 p.m on August 15 and to boycott the Independence Day celebrations throughout the region. ULFA Chairman Arabindo Rajkhowa forwarded the joint statement calling boycott and general strike by the ULFA, the Manipur Peoples Liberation Front (MPLF), the Kamatapur Liberation Organisation (KLO) and the Tripura Peoples Democratic Front (TPDF), in an e-mail to media organisations in Guwahati.
According to militant outfits, the politico-military conflict between the region and Centre can be resolved only if the core issue of sovereignty and independence is addressed. (ANI)
- Security alert in northeast over R-Day boycott - Jan 23, 2011
- Naga rebel group calls 36 hour shutdown - Jan 24, 2012
- Call to boycott I-Day celebrations in northeast - Aug 10, 2010
- Northeast groups call for I-Day boycott - Aug 11, 2011
- Goods train bombed, bus attacked in Assam ahead of R-Day - Jan 25, 2011
- Four serial blasts in Manipur, two injured (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Northeast under high alert, night trains cancelled - Aug 13, 2010
- People defy I-Day boycott call in northeast - Aug 15, 2010
- Security beefed up in northeast for I-Day - Aug 14, 2010
- Three injured in Assam grenade blast - Sep 11, 2012
- Northeast separatists call Republic Day boycott - Jan 20, 2010
- Grenade blast in Assam, night trains suspended till R-Day - Jan 22, 2010
- Separatists call shutdown to boycott Independence Day in Northeast - Aug 10, 2009
- ULFA and KLO rebels arrested in Meghalaya - Jan 05, 2012
- ULFA bomber held in Assam, security alert in northeast - Jan 25, 2010
Tags: assam police, core issue, e mail, glass panes, guwahati, hand grenade, independence day celebrations, insurgent outfits, liberation front, liberation organisation, manhunt, militant outfits, military conflict, office of the superintendent, peoples liberation, police superintendents, shattering glass, superintendents office, tpdf, verandah