Surface-to-surface Prithvi missile test fired successfullyMay 23rd, 2008 - 1:53 pm ICT by admin
Chandipur (Orissa), May 23 (ANI): India on Friday successfully test fired the indigenous surface-to-surface ‘Prithvi’ missile, from the integrated test range (ITR) here, 15 km from Balasore.
The Prithvi missile was test-fired, as part of a user’s trial by the Indian Army and was successful, defence sources confirmed.
“Mounted on a mobile tatra transporter-erector launcher, the sophisticated missile took off vertically at about 10:30 a.m. and plunged into the pre-designated splash-down point in the Bay of Bengal,” the sources added.
The Prithvi has a range of 150 to 250 km, which can carry an explosives payload of 1000 kg. The 8.56 metre-long and one metre thick Prithvi missile forms part of the Defence Research Development Organisation’s (DRDO) Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme (IGMDP).
Powered by liquid propellant, the Prithvi can operate with both liquid as well as solid fuel.
The test was jointly conducted by the DRDO and the special missile regiment raised by the army. (ANI)
- India test-fires medium range Akash missile - May 24, 2012
- Prithvi-II, Dhanush missiles test fired successfully - Mar 11, 2011
- India test-fires n-capable 'Shourya' missile - Sep 24, 2011
- India tests nuke capable Prithvi II missile - Jun 09, 2011
- India successfully test-fires n-capable Prithvi II, Dhanush missiles (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- India, Pakistan successfully test-fire n-capable missiles (Fourth Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- Prithvi-II ballistic missile successfully test-fired - Dec 22, 2010
- India test fires n-capable Prithvi-II missile - Sep 26, 2011
- New version of BrahMos missile tested - Mar 28, 2012
- Prithvi-II missile fails to take off - Sep 24, 2010
- India successfully tests Prithvi-II missile (Second Lead) - Jun 09, 2011
- India, Pakistan test nuke-tipped missiles on same day (Third Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- India test-fires Prithvi-II missile - Aug 25, 2012
- Agni-I missile test-fired off Orissa coast - Nov 25, 2010
- India test fires two nuclear capable Prithvi-II missiles in Chandipur - Oct 12, 2009
Tags: bay of bengal, defence research, defence sources, development organisation, drdo, explosives, guided missile, India, indian army, launcher, liquid propellant, missile development, missile regiment, missile test, orissa, prithvi missile, solid fuel, splash down, test range