Suicide bombing kills 34 in Peshawar funeral (Second Lead)March 9th, 2011 - 4:19 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, March 9 (IANS) At least 34 mourners were killed and 42 injured Wednesday in a suicide attack at a funeral near Pakistan’s Peshawar city, media reports said.
The blast occurred in Adezai area of Peshawar city, the capital of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province bordering Afghanistan, Geo News reported.
About 150 people were attending the funeral of the wife of a pro-government tribal leader when the explosion took place in Adezai area, around 20 km southeast of Peshawar, DPA said.
Adezai is a village where a militia group called Aman Lashkar is supporting the government in the fight against the Taliban, the report said.
“It was a suicide attack,” said Siraj Ahmad, a senior government official in Peshawar. “Thirty-four people are dead and 42 injured.”
A witness told Geo television that the lone suicide bomber was about 35 to 40 years of age and he shouted “God is great” before detonating the explosives.
Another witness said the blast threw him to the ground. “When I got up I saw there were bodies lying everywhere.”
The suicide attack came a day after a car bomb near the office of the military’s Inter-Services Intelligence agency killed 26 people and injured 131 in Faisalabad, a key industrial city in Punjab province.
The Taliban took responsibility for the Tuesday’s bombing.
Nasim Sadiq, the top government official in Faisalabad, said Wednesday that around 200 kg of explosives were detonated by remote control.
“They had parked the vehicle near the compressor of a CNG (compressed natural gas) station and wanted to blow up the compressor,” Sadiq was quoted as saying.
- Suicide bombing kills 36 mourners at Pakistan funeral (Third Lead, Changing dateline) - Mar 09, 2011
- 20 killed in Peshawar bombing - Mar 09, 2011
- 25 killed, over 50 hurt in suicide blast at funeral in northwest Pakistan - Mar 09, 2011
- At least 37 killed in funeral suicide blast in Pakistan - Mar 09, 2011
- ISI playing with fire, says Pakistani daily - Mar 10, 2011
- 13 killed in blast at Peshawar funeral (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2012
- Senior cop dies in Peshawar suicide blast (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Five policemen among six killed in Peshawar blasts (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- Five die in Peshawar blast (Lead) - Mar 11, 2012
- One injured in Peshawar blast - Feb 24, 2012
- Pakistan blast: 31 killed, Taliban claims responsibility - Sep 15, 2011
- Pakistani politician survives suicide attack (Second Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- 13 dead, 50 hurt in Pakistan suicide blast (Second Lead) - Mar 08, 2011
- Four killed in Peshawar suicide blast - Jun 20, 2011
- 10 dead, 12 wounded in Afghan airport bombing (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
Tags: ahmad, car bomb, cng, compressed natural gas, dpa, explosives, geo news, government official, intelligence agency, inter services, lashkar, militia group, mourners, nasim, natural gas station, peshawar city, siraj, suicide attack, suicide bomber, tribal leader