Suicide bombing kills 23 in Pakistan (Lead)October 10th, 2008 - 9:28 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Oct 10 (DPA) At least 23 people were killed and dozens more injured Friday in a suicide bombing during a gathering in Pakistan’s tribal region along the Afghan border, officials said.The jirga, a meeting of some 500 of members of the Alikhel tribe was being held in Khadezai village of Orakzai district to raise a traditional army, or lashkar, against Taliban militants operating in the area.
“A young man sneaked into the gathering and blew himself up at around 04.30 p.m. (1030 GMT),” said a security official. “Twenty-three people have so far been confirmed dead and around 100 wounded.”
According to the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, the death toll might rise.
Pakistan’s tribal region serves as a safe haven for Al Qaeda and Taliban militants launching cross-border attacks on US-led international forces in Afghanistan.
Pressed by Washington, Islamabad has recently launched offensives in some districts of the largely ungoverned tribal belt against the Islamic insurgents. It also encouraged local tribesmen to raise lashkars to oust militants from their regions.
Orakzai Agency, unlike other tribal districts, does not border Afghanistan directly and therefore has been relatively peaceful.
But for almost six months Taliban influence has been increasing in the area and militants have launched attacks on security forces. Twenty-five police recruits abducted in early September still remain in Taliban captivity.
Earlier this month Ferozkhel tribe, another tribe in the district, organised a lashkar and took positions on strategic hilltops to prey on extremists in their area.
Tribal fighters arrested eighteen insurgents, including four would-be suicide bombers, and two explosive-laden vehicles were seized.
Two militants’ hideouts were destroyed two days ago, fuelling anger among the rebels.
The Alikhel tribe was expected to announce its support for the Ferozkhel people in the meeting hit by the suicide attack Friday.
- Pakistani fighter jets pound FATA, 12 Taliban killed - Jul 05, 2010
- 10 militants killed in Pakistan - Apr 27, 2010
- Five soldiers, 21 militants killed in Pakistan - Mar 26, 2010
- 6 injured in rocket attack at Pakistani governor's meet - Oct 11, 2011
- At least 20 suspected militants killed in Pak tribal region - Dec 30, 2010
- Six militants killed, three soldiers wounded in Orakzai shootout - Mar 12, 2011
- 35 militants killed in Pakistan - Mar 30, 2012
- Blast kills 20 in Pakistan (Second Lead) - Feb 18, 2010
- Sikhs in Pakistan seek compensation for terror losses - Feb 07, 2011
- 100 Taliban insurgents killed in Orakzai offensive : Pak Army - Jul 14, 2010
- Seven militants killed in Pakistan's tribal area - Aug 01, 2012
- 33 militants killed in northwest Pakistan - Apr 29, 2011
- Pakistani troops kill 27 Islamist militants - Oct 03, 2009
- 10 militants killed in Pakistan - Jun 14, 2010
- Eight militants killed in Pakistan - Oct 04, 2011