Suicide bomber gunned down in PakistanApril 27th, 2012 - 12:22 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 26 (IANS) A suicide bomber was shot dead and two of his companions sustained bullet injuries Thursday before they could attack a bus carrying Shia pilgrims in Pakistan’s Quetta city, officials said.
Police stopped the three suspects at a check-post but they tried to run away. Armed policemen followed and fired in the air to stop them but they threw a hand grenade at the security personnel besides opening fire with pistols.
In retaliation, the policemen shot one of them dead and injured his two companions, Xinhua reported.
Police found an explosive jacket tied to the body of the dead man. The explosives were defused by a bomb squad.
Officials took the injured terrorists to an unknown place for investigation.
A security official said the terrorists were trying to enter Hazara town, a sensitive area near Quetta where sectarian killings have been reported in recent months.
“They were on their way to attack a bus of Shia Muslim pilgrims planning to go to Iran for a holy visit,” the official said.
In April, at least 26 people from the Shia community have been killed in Quetta.
- 13 die as gunmen open fire in Pakistan city (Lead) - Jul 30, 2011
- Blasts rock Pakistan, 11 killed - Sep 18, 2012
- 9 killed in wave of sectarian violence in Quetta - Sep 01, 2012
- Six Shias shot dead in Pakistan - Apr 10, 2012
- 29 Shia pilgrims killed in Pakistan - Sep 21, 2011
- Five Pakistani paramilitary men killed - Jan 26, 2012
- Gunmen attack bus carrying Shiite Muslims in southwestern Pakistan, killing 13 - Oct 05, 2011
- Terror bid foiled in Pakistan - Sep 24, 2011
- Four Shia pilgrims killed in Pakistan gun attack (Lead) - Jun 22, 2011
- 22 Shias killed in Iraq bus attack - Sep 13, 2011
- Official shot dead in Pakistan's Quetta - Oct 08, 2011
- 14 dead in Pakistan violence (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Five policemen among six killed in Peshawar blasts (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- Militants gun down 18 bus passengers in Pakistan (Second Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Quetta grieved day after blast - Sep 04, 2010
Tags: bomb squad, city officials, companions, dead man, explosives, hand grenade, killings, muslim pilgrims, pakistan islamabad, policemen, quetta city, retaliation, security official, security personnel, sensitive area, shia community, shia muslim, suicide bomber, unknown place, xinhua