Suicide attack on Islamabad police office kills two (Second Lead)June 6th, 2009 - 11:43 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 6 (IANS) Two policemen were killed and four others were injured when a suicide bomber blew himself up at an emergency police office here Saturday evening, officials said.
“A suicide bomber tried to enter the building from the outer wall when a constable retaliated and opened fire at him. The bomber blew up as a result,” Bin Yamin, Islamabad’s deputy inspector general of police, told reporters at the scene.
TV channels and online media reports said two policemen were killed. But Yamin confirmed the death of only one, adding that one of the injured was in critical condition.
According to the online edition of the Dawn newspaper, the attacker tried to enter the main office of the Rescue 15 building from the rear of the compound where around 50 officials were present.
No one has claimed responsibility for the attack, but Taliban militants have intensified their offensive against security personnel and civilians in Pakistan’s major cities to avenge the ongoing military operation in the northwestern Swat district.
More than two dozen people, many of them policemen, were killed May 27 when a suicide bomber assisted by gunmen attacked police and intelligence offices in the eastern city of Lahore.
President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani condemned the Saturday attack.
Zardari said the perpetrators of such cowardly acts will not succeed in their ulterior motives and the government was determined to stamp out extremism and terrorism from the country.
Gilani, while condemning the blast, has ordered an immediate inquiry and directed the authorities to provide the best medical care to the injured.
- Nine dead in Pakistan suicide bombing (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Policeman killed in Islamabad suicide bombing (Lead) - Jun 06, 2009
- Taliban's revenge: 80 killed in Pakistan suicide blasts (Third Lead) - May 13, 2011
- Taliban bomber blows himself up at Islamabad bank - Jun 13, 2011
- 20 dead in Pakistan suicide attack (Third Lead) - May 05, 2012
- Pakistan determined to defeat terrorism: Zardari - Aug 20, 2011
- Six die in Afghan suicide bombing - May 19, 2012
- Pakistani politician survives suicide attack (Second Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Suicide bomber attacks Pakistan police station - Jan 14, 2012
- Zardari, Gilani condemn suicide attack on Khyber Pakhtunkhwa police station - Sep 06, 2010
- Five killed in Pakistan suicide blast (Lead) - Nov 17, 2011
- Two killed in Islamabad bank bombing (Lead) - Jun 13, 2011
- Seven killed in Swabi suicide attack targeting Pak politician - Mar 30, 2011
- Pakistani politician escapes bid on life, cop killed (Second Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Swat, Lahore blasts claim 71 lives (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2010
Tags: best medical care, constable, cowardly acts, critical condition, deputy inspector general, emergency police, extremism, gilani, gunmen, military operation, police office, policemen, saturday evening, security personnel, suicide attack, suicide bomber, swat district, ulterior motives, yousuf, zardari